Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Slang Term for Diseases or Illness

Harper

Could anyone please tell me the British and/or Aussie slang term(s) for disease or illness during WW1, especially in respect to the Middle East?

Many thanks

Harper

• Admin

Pox and Clap for venereal diseases? 

Up the creek for venereal disease (naval)

doolally for mentally ill - said to be derived from Deolali in India thanks to the presence (whether there really was one I don't know) of an Army asylum.

PS may be worth investigating Eric Partridge's various dictionaries of slang via your local library.

Edited by seaJane

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

Up the creek for venereal disease (naval)

doolally for mentally ill - said to be derived from Deolali in India thanks to the presence (whether there really was one I don't know) of an Army asylum.

PS may be worth investigating Eric Partridge's various dictionaries of slang via your local library.

There was a military hospital there, but apparently it did not have a sanatorium / asylum Jane.  There’s quite a good and relevant history of the Deolali Transit Camp and its usage here: https://historyfare.co.uk/military-history/13-going-doolally/

Also information and further links at the inimitable Families In British India Society (FIBIS) here: https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Deolali

IMG_0353.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

good and relevant history

Thank you!

On 24/11/1914 the Bolton Evening News quoted Lt Col Walker of the Bolton Artillery. They had gone out to Egypt in September with The East Lancs Div (T). He was reporting on the health of the men and said that a common complaint was gyppy tummy.

Brian

It would be worthwhile looking, to see if there is anything relevant,  in the online book 

Digger Dialects : a Collection of Slang Phrases used by the Australian Soldiers on Active Service by W.H. Downing, late 57th Battalion, AIF. [1919]. State Library of Victoria.

The references above to gyp, and gyppy tummy, are I believe a corruption of the word Egyptian.

Maureen