Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps Badge

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from a Old Outlaw.

Now this will seem a really stupid question . When a man was transferred to the Labour Corps during WW1

what cap badge would he have worn? 

Old Robin Hood . 

On 22/10/2023 at 11:22, OLD ROBIN HOOD said:

Greetings from a Old Outlaw.

Now this will seem a really stupid question . When a man was transferred to the Labour Corps during WW1

what cap badge would he have worn? 

Old Robin Hood . 

They started with the General Service badge when formed in 1917 and were allocated their own, special badge, in 1918, but because of the hectic events in the first 6-months of that year the distribution only began to be complete in the last few months of the war.  As a result the latter badge became historically more associated with its second user, the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps of WW2, and its successor Royal Pioneer Corps**.

**whose badge was changed a few years before amalgamation into the Royal Logistics Corps.

IMG_0322.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, max7474 said:

Lots of photos show a mix of badges where old badges were kept.

Yes indeed.  The uniformity seemed to improve in the second half of 1918, but there were constantly new arrivals still with their old badges given the regular source of new men who’d been medically downgraded.

Greetings from a very damp hideout.

Very many thanks for the info . I have found many men who I researched had been medically

down graded and sent to the Labour Corps . I just never knew what cap badge they wore .

until now .  Again many thanks .

Old Robin Hood.