Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Tumbitza Farm - Salonika Campaign

ianshuter

Because there is really not much online I thought I would post this here in case, like me, anyone else took some time to find information.

The war diaries for the Salonkia campaign are not yet online. The following is taken from A Gallant County: The Regiments of Gloucestershire in the Great War by Robin A. Grist   

The last action of 1916 on the Salonika Front was the Battle of Tumbitza Farm, from 17 November until 7 December, which ended in failure for the British. In mid-November 2nd Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry (DCLI) tried to capture the farm but failed; 10th Camerons were then ordered to do so, supported by 2nd Gloucesters. Rabbit Wood was about 500yds west of Tumbitza Lake, and the farm buildings were some 200yds south of the lake. The plan was for 2nd Gloucesters to take Rabbit Wood, and it advanced at 4.30 am on 6 December and dug in. Then 10th Camerons moved through 2nd Gloucesters and attempted to cross the Tumbitza Stream and assault the trenches on the far bank but was beaten back by rifle and machine gun fire. Any movement in Rabbit Wood now drew shellfire, and casualties began to mount; 10th Camerons withdrew to the wood. At 4.00 pm there was an intense bombardment on the enemy positions which only had a short-term effect. After dark, 10th Camerons were relieved by 2nd DCLI, and 2nd Gloucesters had the task of taking the Farm, supported by 2nd DCLI. At 6.45 am on 7 December, 2nd Gloucesters, followed in support by 2nd DCLI, advanced against the position. C Company and most of D Company succeeded in crossing the Tumbitza Stream under heavy fire and found cover on the opposite bank, but the remainder of the attacking troops were unable to cross owing to the weight of enemy rifle and machine gun fire. At 8.00 am Lieutenant Colonel Kirk of the 2nd DCLI ordered the two companies that had crossed to fall back to the wood. That evening 2nd Gloucesters withdrew back to its billets, having suffered 114 casualties, of whom 34 died. Tumbitza Farm remained in enemy hands.

Remembering:
Private 20203 William Arthur POLLARD - 2nd Battalion, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and
L/Corporal 22000 Ernest Richard AVIS - 2nd Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment
who were both killed during this battle William on the 1st day and Ernest on the last day.

'The Official History of the Great War Military Operations Macedonia Volume I' by Captain Cyril Falls, covers the action at Tumbitsa Farm on pages 242 to 248.  It is available online and there is a link in a pinned topic in the Salonika and the Balkans sub forum. Here:

Edited by Gardenerbill

Many thanks, I have bookmarked them and please see attached a complete transcription of Pages 241 to 249 in PDF so that it can be read, used etc.

I did also obtain a two volume book on the history of Wars in the Balkans but there was no real detail https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09YP2YVQ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battle of Tumbitza Farm.pdf

Edited by ianshuter

• 3 months later...

Tumbitza Farm is one of the actions covered in the Struma Valley chapter of Under The Devil's Eye. Quotes used come from the various war diaries as I could not find any personal accounts of the actions. The action often features as a stand in battlefield tours I lead to the old Salonika front.

7 minutes ago, awakefield said:

Tumbitza Farm is one of the actions covered in the Struma Valley chapter of Under The Devil's Eye. Quotes used come from the various war diaries as I could not find any personal accounts of the actions. The action often features as a stand in battlefield tours I lead to the old Salonika front.

Thank you I have purchased the Kindle version of your book

There are some pages in two regimental histories, but I don't know whether there is any additional information over what you already have

https://archive.org/details/historydcli1914/page/221/mode/2up The History of the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry 1914-1919 by  Everard Wyrall 1932, page 219

https://archive.org/details/gloucestershireregwar/page/201/mode/2up The Gloucestershire Regiment in the War 1914-1918. The Records of the 1st (28th), 2nd (61st), 3rd (Special Reserve) and 4th, 5th, and 6th (First-Line T.A.) Battalions by  Everard Wyrall 1931, page 202

Maureen