Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of a canvas pouch

Chasemuseum

I recently purchased a job lot of items from the deceased estate dispersal of a major Australian collector. The auctioneers had little idea of what they were doing. The collector had grouped a number of items together in storage as having had similar origin or use. This small job lot included the pouch for a PH gas mask and also included this small canvas pouch below.

It is 14.5 cm x 18.5 cm. I suspect that it may be for an early pad type gas mask and would like to hear people's opinions.

PA190183.JPG.1bfd2ed877175547f43e1de49945b1be.JPGPA190186.JPG.4aff8f868b53a630ae668ac05ac4835e.JPGPA190185.JPG.dc4069e7bbad2f3e6a018c2cf009629a.JPG

Edited by Chasemuseum

It has no WO stamps so could be local/private purchase.  Shape and construction indicates it held something flat.  Dimensions (6"x 8"-ish) suggests to me writing pad, envelopes, postcards for personal use perhaps?

Pure guesswork but I have seen something very similar containing a metal mirror in an officer's kit, which would fit with TullochArd's observation.

My first thought was mirror / heliograph.

21 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Pure guesswork but I have seen something very similar containing a metal mirror in an officer's kit, which would fit with TullochArd's observation.

Me too.

36 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Me too.

I just rechecked and perhaps the size (14.5 x 18.5) would be larger than a personal mirror? The one I saw was perhaps 10cmx10cm.

I have my grandads shaving mirror and without digging it out it’s about 75mm x 100mm. His comes with a leather sheath and leather strap fitted through a slot in the mirror. I’d imagine there were many variations given private purchases.

Simon

This is a mirror/canvas case belonging to 2nd Lt Ralph Paton Taylor 3rd Northhamptons attached to 10th South Wales Borderers KIA 10th July 1916 and buried in Dantzig Alley Cemetery. It measures 140mmx100mm.

Richard

IMG_3038.JPG