Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hunters Town, Ploegsteert Wood, Location ?

Robert StJohn Smith

I came across an entry in the 21st KRRC Unit diary for June 1916, where it says B&C Coys to be billeted in Hunters Town. 

At first, I thought this was a mistake and should be Hunters Avenue. 

However, in the 1/8 RWR unit diary  for June 1915, they have dispositions for both Hunters Town, and Hunters Avenue. Maybe of note, but Hunters Town is 'In Huts' , while Hunters Avenue is 'In Dug-outs' 

I can't find it on  any map of the area, and only one other reference to Hunters Town (41st Division 124th Brigade Diary) . 

Anyone have any ideas ?

Edited by Robert StJohn Smith

If it helps, this German December 1915 map shows truppenlager, which an online  source translates as army encampments, on both sides of Hunter Avenue.  Might be one of these.

image.png.6c7c8f1b23752037bdff3509bd0aa0a8.png

Number 3 is a strong possibility, as I have accounts of bombing at Rifle House (south of Piccadilly circus), which would put number 3 east of it. 

We have Rifle House essentially at the same location as 3, so that makes sense.  Cheers, Bill

Name: Wytschaete area, Ypres
Scale: 1:20,000
Annotated Trenches, boundaries, batteries. Printed 1/12/1915

image.png.04df9931d63b968f31d40a3c99e86c02.png

Please see this recent thread with some maps. I can see Hunter Avenue but not Hunter Town. I will have to look further. EDIT Hunters Town in U 20 C on my last post on the thread.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/237446-ploegsteert-wood-jan-mar-1915/#comment-3164808

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

From the October 1915 WD of 75 Infantry Brigade, 25 Div. Signed by the Brigade Major. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2248/1-3

Hunters Town to the left in U 20 c

EDIT I did post it in the attached thread on my previous post.

Brian

43112_2248_0-00024.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

Peter Chasseaud's Rats Alley has a mention of Hunter's Town and the renaming of places in the area. It seems that Hunter came from the nickname of Hunter-Bunter given to Lieutenant General Sir Aylmer Gould Hunter-Weston.

Hunter's Town may be on many maps but with a different name. The Rats Alley page above may give a clue.

Howard