Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dependants war pension.

mickey selcon

Hi

I am researching a soldier who died of wounds at Gallipoli in 1915. He left behind a wife and 3 children all under the age of 16. After his death his widow applied for and was given a pension of 31/3 per week. Would this amount be for each child, or was it the amount for all 3 children? If it was a collective sum, would it be reduced by a third each time a child reached the age of 16?

Thank you and best regards

Mike

32 minutes ago, mickey selcon said:

Hi

I am researching a soldier who died of wounds at Gallipoli in 1915. He left behind a wife and 3 children all under the age of 16. After his death his widow applied for and was given a pension of 31/3 per week. Would this amount be for each child, or was it the amount for all 3 children? If it was a collective sum, would it be reduced by a third each time a child reached the age of 16?

Thank you and best regards

Mike

This is one for @ss002d6252 and @Matlock1418 if they’re around.

Mike,

From February 1915 until May 1918 a widow would receive 10s per week if under 35 years old, and 12s 6d if aged between 35 and 45.

Children’s allowance was 5s for first child; 4s 2d for second child, and 2s 6d for each subsequent child.

This should give a total of 21s 8d or 24s 2d depending on age. This total would be reduced as each child reached the age of 16.

The figures above are for a Private, the rate was increased according to the soldier's rank.

In addition, your widow, at 31s 3d per week may have been paid an ‘alternative pension’. This was based on her husband’s pre-war earnings and was a total figure including for the children. Alternative pensions could be claimed if a man was a higher than average earner, perhaps a skilled tradesman.

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

20 hours ago, alf mcm said:

From February 1915 until May 1918 a widow would receive 10s per week if under 35 years old, and 12s 6d if aged between 35 and 45.

Children’s allowance was 5s for first child; 4s 2d for second child, and 2s 6d for each subsequent child.

This should give a total of 21s 8d or 24s 2d depending on age. This total would be reduced as each child reached the age of 16.

The figures above are for a Private, the rate was increased according to the soldier's rank.

In addition, your widow, at 31s 3d per week may have been paid an ‘alternative pension’. This was based on her husband’s pre-war earnings and was a total figure including for the children. Alternative pensions could be claimed if a man was a higher than average earner, perhaps a skilled tradesman.

A small tweak of the potential underlying figures is suggested:

Assuming an OR soldier [There were six Classes I (WO1, RegSjtMaj), I+ (WO2, SjtMaj, or NCO1, QtrMSjt), II (NCO, CSjt), III (NCO, Sjt.), IV (NCO, Cpl.) & V (Pte, incl LCpl)] or equivalents and not an officer:

Presuming an award in/from 1915-16 [typically after death the Separation Allowance continued for a further six months or longer] ... In 1915 and 1916 [A new Royal Warrant from 1/4/1917]:

= Widow: 10/- to 12/- [under 35 yo] or 12/6 to 14/6 [35-45 yo] or 15/- to 17/- [45 yo and over] pw [Higher widow's rates according to higher paid rank, including acting, i.e. up to 17/- pw]

= Children: 5/-, 3/6 and 2/- each thereafter pw.  [Typically provided they were under 16 yo, though there could be exceptions up to 21 yo depending on special circumstances.  The rate for children was standard and not rank dependant]. As children became ineligible the lowest rate would drop off.

An Alternative Pension Widow's [incl. for children] was possible - at this time potentially up to half of the soldier's proven pre-war income [of income up to 50/- pw plus half of any income 50/- to 100/- pw i.e. pension up to 37/6 pw max.] if it exceeded the standard/minimum widow's pension and children's allowances combined, as described above.  As mentioned above knowing the soldier's pre-war occupation may be valuable in better understanding the situation - a good example of such a higher earner and APW may quite commonly be seen for a miner's widow.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
QtrMsjt and 37/6 pw

Hi

My man was a paid acting CSM and pre war he’d been a medicated lozenge maker. Not sure whether that was a high paid job or not.

Thanks and best regards

mike

10 hours ago, mickey selcon said:

My man was a paid acting CSM

WO2 = Might possibly suggest a man potentially a bit older than many and potentially used to having some pre-war authority if he had reached that rank by 1915. Had he any previous Regular & Reserve or Territorial Force experience?

10 hours ago, mickey selcon said:

pre war he’d been a medicated lozenge maker. Not sure whether that was a high paid job or not.

I guess it depended on his position in such a trade/business.

Pre-War Earnings were calculated in the same manner as for the purposes of the Workman’s Compensation Act 1906 so proven regular pay from employment, overtime pay, sales commission, etc., typically over a 12-month period, would count.  Several employments could be combined.   Profits from self-employed trade, business or profession be used, or added, for PWE.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hi M

Yes he deployed as colour sergeant with 1/7 Manchester in 1915 and his number suggests he may have  joined the TF around 1908.

best regards 

Mike

7 hours ago, mickey selcon said:

Yes he deployed as colour sergeant with 1/7 Manchester in 1915 and his number suggests he may have  joined the TF around 1908.

You may appreciate how such details can assist.

A name and number might perhaps aid more. ???

M