Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilte Seaforth Highlanders dated 1917

landser

Kilte Seaforth Highlanders daté de 1917, étiquette protégée par du plastique que j’ai placé. une pièce qui me tient à cœur car elle a été trouvée dans une niche dans un grenier d’une école à Lille (France)

DSC_0570.JPG

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0572.JPG

• kenf48 changed the title to Kilte Seaforth Highlanders dated 1917

The kilt appears to have belonged to an A B or A G Ainslie, but I cannot make out the full address except that it’s in Edinburgh.  If anyone can decipher the rest of the address I imagine it might be possible for genealogists to trace the soldier.

18 minutes ago, landser said:

Bonjour, c’est peut-être possible mais je ne vois pas le numéro militaire !!

Le numero regiment, pas “militaire”.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The kilt appears to have belonged to an A B or A G Ainslie, but I cannot make out the full address except that it’s in Edinburgh.  If anyone can decipher the rest of the address I imagine it might be possible for genealogists to trace the soldier.

There are not too many choices when it comes to a search of the medal index cards for a soldier with the surname Ainslie serving with the Seaforth Highlanders in a theatre of war. Four to be precise, two named Thomas, one named Robert, and one named Alexander (service number S/5505). The latter earned the full trio of 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medals, with an initial date of entry into a theatre of war on 7 August 1915, but also died of wounds at some point according to the annotation on the card. That leads to this death on 17 August 1917 on the CWGC website, which also yields the information that he was serving with the 1 Battalion and the son of Mr and Mrs William Ainslie, of 19 Blakewell Road, Tweedmouth, Berwick-on-Tweed.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/632318/alexander-ainslie/

Probably not the owner of the kilt if the address on it is in Edinburgh, and the kilt was discovered in France, as Alexander Ainslie died in Iraq, where the 1st Battalion had been since December 1915 according to the Long Long Trail.

55 minutes ago, Tawhiri said:

There are not too many choices when it comes to a search of the medal index cards for a soldier with the surname Ainslie serving with the Seaforth Highlanders in a theatre of war. Four to be precise, two named Thomas, one named Robert, and one named Alexander (service number S/5505). The latter earned the full trio of 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medals, with an initial date of entry into a theatre of war on 7 August 1915, but also died of wounds at some point according to the annotation on the card. That leads to this death on 17 August 1917 on the CWGC website, which also yields the information that he was serving with the 1 Battalion and the son of Mr and Mrs William Ainslie, of 19 Blakewell Road, Tweedmouth, Berwick-on-Tweed.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/632318/alexander-ainslie/

Probably not the owner of the kilt if the address on it is in Edinburgh, and the kilt was discovered in France, as Alexander Ainslie died in Iraq, where the 1st Battalion had been since December 1915 according to the Long Long Trail.

Thank you Tawhiri, I’m confident about the surname, but much less so about the initials, so I might well have got the A wrong.  The address isn’t very clear either but the last row of letters certainly seems to say EDIN. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looking at a negative version of the image (attached), I agree that the surname is Ainslie, I'm sure that the second initial is a 'G'. The last line of the address certainly looks like 'EDIN'

Kilt 2.jpg

Bonsoir à vous trois,

Il est vrai que le numéro est souvent attribué à plusieurs personnes, et que seul le prénom pouvait donner une identification, je vous remercie pour cette information, merci aussi pour vos avis. :thumbsup: