Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge Identification Help Needed

Michele J

My grandfather enlisted in the Northern Territorial Cyclist battalion in May 1915 (Newcastle). He was later transferred to the Army Cyclist Corps in May 1917 and sent to France where he served until the end of the war with the 3rd and 4th Army Cyclist Corps. His brother served on the homefront in the Tyne Electrical Engineers. I'm trying to determine whether the enclosed picture is of my grandfather when he enlisted in the Northern Territorial Cyclist battalion or whether it is of his brother (Tyne Electrical Engineers / Royal Engineers). Any help would be appreciated! I've attached a scan of the photo as well as closeups of the buckle and cap badge.

buckle closeup.png

Cap badge closeup.png

Harold or Arnold Renton 600 dpi cropped.png

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The cap badge is that of the Royal Engineers. 

• Admin

The belt buckle and rifle strap  looks like something that was worn on dress uniform rather than on khaki, or pre war surplus kit. . Will tag @FROGSMILE for his help. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

The belt buckle and rifle strap  looks like something that was worn on dress uniform rather than on khaki, or pre war surplus kit. . Will tag @FROGSMILE for his help. 

The first photo I’ve seen in a long time of a soldier wearing 1902 service dress uniform with the pre 1903 buff leather equipment of Slade-Wallace pattern.  This is the equipment that the British infantry were still wearing when they went to war against the Boers in South Africa for the second time, in 1899.  As a Royal Engineer deemed to have lesser need for the very latest infantry type equipment he has been issued with an obsolescent type until modern stocks catch up.

The belt clasp is of Union pattern and bears the motto DIEU ET MON DROIT, meaning God and my Right, the motto of British monarchy.

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_9939.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks so much for posting that picture of the uniform and explaining the significance of the kit that my grandfather's brother was wearing in the photo.

3 hours ago, Michele J said:

Thanks so much for posting that picture of the uniform and explaining the significance of the kit that my grandfather's brother was wearing in the photo.

I’m pleased to help.  I’d forgotten to mention that he has his greatcoat folded into a roll and secured to the straps between his shoulders, and the canvas bag resting on his hip is called a haversack.  The haversack is the most enduring piece of equipment ever carried by individual soldiers and went right back to at least the early 1700s.  It carried a soldiers rations, which he was only allowed to eat under orders.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you FROGSMILE and MICHELLE YOUNG for all the information you have shared. I'm brand new to this forum and as you probably guessed from my questions, I don't have much military knowledge, but I'm learning a lot thanks to your help :)