Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal South Lincoln Militia

Allan1892

I am writing up my great uncle's WW1 story (Charles Frederick Hunter, #14639, 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment) and I find that he enlisted in 1902 (for 6 years) into the Royal South Lincoln Militia. I intend to add this into his story and would like to include an image of a cap badge of the RSLM - can anyone help me find such a badge? Perhaps @FROGSMILE ?

Edited by Allan1892

5 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

I am writing up my great uncle's WW1 story (Charles Frederick Hunter, #14639, 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment) and I find that he enlisted in 1902 (for 6 years) into the Royal South Lincoln Militia. I intend to add this into his story and would like to include an image of a cap badge of the RSLM - can anyone help me find such a badge? Perhaps @FROGSMILE ?

Allan the Royal South Lincoln Regiment of Militia became the 4th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment (Royal South Lincoln Militia) in July 1881**.

The practical effect militia wise was that these auxiliary battalions adopted the same insignia as their regular counterparts, although sometimes in reversed metals.  Thus in 1902, your subject would have worn a Lincolnshire Regiment Sphinx badge.  However, I have enclosed an image of the old militia regiment’s pre 1881 badge for your interest.

**the 3rd (Militia) Battalion of the regiment was formed from the Royal North Lincoln Regiment of Militia at the same time.  Interestingly of the two Lincoln militia regiments only the South had a special emblem, with the North utilising the generic badge of militia, the ‘Royal Crest’ comprising of Crown surmounted by a crowned Lion as its central device.

IMG_0178.jpeg

IMG_0179.jpeg

IMG_0177.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks for replying and for the explanation -- I knew you would be the man to put me on the right path!

I don't know anything about this period, what would have been his role in 1902 - 1908? Would it have been similar to men in the Territorial Force, attending annual camps etc and regular training etc? Would he have received any sort of annual payment? Thank you in anticipation of assistance.

19 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Many thanks for replying and for the explanation -- I knew you would be the man to put me on the right path!

I don't know anything about this period, what would have been his role in 1902 - 1908? Would it have been similar to men in the Territorial Force, attending annual camps etc and regular training etc? Would he have received any sort of annual payment? Thank you in anticipation of assistance.

The initial part of militia and volunteer battalion service was similar in the sense that both completed basic training to take them from a civilian with no military knowledge to a civilian with sufficient training to join a unit and begin continuation training.  However, the big difference was that militia completed 6-months of full time training (and had a number of men stolen away to join the regulars instead##), but volunteers attended a series of training weekends until they had completed the laid down syllabus and passed mandated tests.

After completing basic training the militia man went home to be a civilian with just two obligations, first to attend an annual training camp and second to mobilise if required by act of parliament.  If mobilised he came under the articles of war (military discipline).  The volunteer battalion man, however, continued to attend regular training on a weekly basis (known as ‘drills’), but usually for just an hour in one evening per week, and two hours at weekends, but in addition attended an annual training camp similar to the militia, though with greater emphasis on fun, including competitive sports in addition to the military training.  The volunteers could also be mobilised by act of parliament though they did not come under the articles of war** and were not expected to manoeuvre, but just report to a static point and defend it with skilful rifle fire.

Both types of auxiliary soldier received a cash payment for attending camp.  The effect of these differences was that the militiaman usually experienced greater skill fade and struggled more with some of the aspects of military discipline, especially their turnout in uniform, which was often poor.  Volunteers varied between those who attended training very regularly and those who were more inconsistent in their attendance and thus performance.  Their skills were largely confined to musketry, but they wore uniform more frequently because of weekly drills.

Interestingly the militia tended to have a greater preponderance of rural working-class whereas volunteers tended to have greater numbers across its membership as a whole of middle-class urban men.  Both organisations allowed a small proportion of boys to join at the school leaving age.

Your subject would therefore have attended an annual camp each year between 1902 and  1908.  An important historical point is that the militia was a very old institution and far older than the regular standing army.  It’s origins lay with the medieval feudal levy, whereby each landowner, when called upon by the local Lord for service with the King, or with a putative challenger to the crown, would be expected to report along with the serfs from his land of military age.  For centuries under the control of County Lord lieutenants, rather than the army, they were most commonly called out for the purposes of freeing up regulars from home garrisons to embark overseas. 

## a bane that the Militia continuously complained about and that at one point was made illegal for a short time, but in difficult recruiting conditions it was simply too convenient and for most of the time was actively encouraged.

** this did not change until the creation of the Territorial Force in 1908.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

Many, many thanks for your in-depth answers to my questions, I can now add his pre-war experiences to his story.

I’m glad to help.  When the volunteer battalions stood down in 1908 and the Territorial Force created in their place, various key terms and conditions of service changed.  They came under military law when mobilised, but also began to learn how to manoeuvre, although opportunities for that type of training were largely limited to annual camp, where there was usually a suitable training area, or farm land that could be used temporarily, nearby.

Edited by FROGSMILE