Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Officer further research?

adam1981

Hello all.

I am researching Ernest William Elliott, record pasted below. I understand that ship to be Hindukoosh, and that this is a varient of the spelling of Hindustan? or is this a different vessel/shorebase? 

Also, is there any other avenues to research this man's service?

Thanks

image.png.48887bcaf1df7989e052bbd3e2e42d2a.png

Many thanks, I had found reference to there being a few different spellings for Hindukush but it also seems to be HMS, SS and RFA. Royal Navy is not my strong point, so hopefully someone can confirm these are the same ship. ''SS Hindu Kush'' is mentioned at the link below as the depotship for E15.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_E15

2 hours ago, adam1981 said:

I understand that ship to be Hindukoosh, and that this is a varient of the spelling of Hindustan?

The names are of two different and distinct places.
Geographically the Hindu Kush is that extension of the himalayas into Afghanistan.
Hindustan  was an archaic/historic term more or less for the area of land known nowadays as India.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding this ship.
HMS HINDU KUSH (submarine depot ship) was requisitioned from the mercantile marine at the start of the war and was formerly known as the steamship HINDUSTAN.

MB

The renaming of the ship when it was taken into naval service was to avoid possible confusion with the pre-Dreadnought battleship HMS HINDUSTAN.

Edited by KizmeRD

many thanks. I think KizmeRD clears it up. I assume Elliott was commission as an existing member of the crew of the steamship Hindustan when it was requisitioned as HMS Hindu Kush. The 'Hindukoosh' on the service record must be a variation on the spelling of Hindu Kush?

Is there anywhere else I can research the service? is ther any chance a man of this rank could have been submarine crew?

The Jan 1916 Navy List has Ernest William Elliot listed as a Temporary Engineer Sub Lieut RNR, but couldn’t find anything to suggest that he was submarine crew.

MB

IMG_2263.jpeg

13 hours ago, adam1981 said:

Is there anywhere else I can research the service?

The only other RNR officer records (that I am aware of) reside in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum. You could try for copies through their Digitisation on Demand service.The records of interest are:

His RNR Engineer service index/record card;  his entry in the Officers' Pay and Accounting Ledgers.