Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Brickstacks

stripeyman

A photo from Easter 1983, blinking 40 years ago....

Most of you will remember the power station built on the site of the notorious Brickstacks. To give you all something to do, from where was the photo taken ?

Brick Stacks 1983.JPG

• Admin

Red Dragon Crater? 

Quite a long way from the site of the Red Dragon crater. The view is from the Northern Craters and White Horse Cellars , now very much overgrown since I was there 40 years ago. On the 1983 photo you can see Givenchy on the right and the very extreme left a stand of trees, this is/was Warlingham Crater with a connection with the Guards.

This is the White House, above the building the top of the power station can just be seen. another 40 year old photo.

White House.JPG

Hi @stripeyman, I tramped around the same spot last November looking at nasty little action of 15th June 1915. I'm guessing your interest is more the south side of the canal, at Cuinchy?

All the best,

Richard

I do wonder why you think my interest is south of the canal. My interest is both, I don't know why this is the case with me, its quite odd really.........

32 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

I do wonder why you think my interest is south of the canal.

Now you come to mention it, @stripeyman, I wonder why I thought that as well. With the title being The Brickstacks I just assumed an interest in a particular action or unit there. No offence intended. I was at Givenchy following in the steps of 2nd Wilts, but next time I’m in the area I’ll take a look at the Cuinchy sector, remembering Robert Graves as well as J.C Dunn’s The War the Infantry Knew.

Cheers,

Richard