Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Silver War Badge - Box of issue

Ed Matthews

Greetings,

Do any forum members have examples of the RAF series Silver War Badge in box of issue residing in their collection that they'd be prepared to share a picture of on here please?  I've observed just a couple such examples in many years of collecting the badge and I'm curious to see more.

Also, I have this example in my collection which came in this rather delightful circular box. It's a nice fit but I suspect it's unofficial - unlike the vast majority of SWB boxes of issues I've come across, there is no pasted label bearing the badge number (or stamp to that effect). Has anyone ever seen one of these before or know what 'B.G.C. London' could possibly stand for?  I've tried searching the British Newspaper Archive for any contemporaneous references to same but without any luck. 

Incidentally, the badge itself is 'RAF 2352' issued to AM3 Thomas Heal at the end of November 1918.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Ed

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Ed Matthews

Nothing from my own collection, but original boxes seem to broadly fit the design of being square, slightly larger than the badge, and with the badge number applied to the outside often with gummed paper. Outside this they can vary quite a bit dependent on manufacturer/supplier, eg:

Online Medals | Identify, Value & Sell Your Medals Onlineimage.png.5800259e1c847cf21c860303271c1b9d.pngboxed-ww1-silver-war-badge_10200_pic2_size4.jpg

image.png.4a5014c0955eeac705fc9e44f0444a0c.png

Many thanks Andrew. Yes, I've seen all of these types - as you say, the vast majority are square but there was a circular design used for British, New Zealand and Indian badges with the number stamped directly on the lid.

The RAF ones that I've seen are all of the later blue box type with pasted label (identical to the B10044 example you've shown).  If you do come across any RAF examples, I'd love to see them!

Best wishes

Ed

140315 BOI v2.jpg

138097 BOI.jpg

Morning Ed and I trust you are well. Sadly I cannot help with images of issue boxes because the only examples of SWB's to the air force I have seen over the years have all been loose. However when I first saw this round box it reminded me of an ISM I once owned which came in "a red box" which I believe was used during war time. Long since sold and I cannot remember if it was GV or GVI. 

Looking below at this recent Ebay listing of a WW2 issue badge, I would say your round box originally contained a badge for The BGC. I've tried various combinations to find the meaning, but believe it could be "British G. Company or Corporation - London Office", I've tried Geographic, Geology, Gas etc without success. I'm sure its official but for which department or organisation I don't know. Cheers John

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256258848044?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=08fc5f7cb2cf46909597423ba15328df&bu=43441366778&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20231018060236&segname=11021

• 6 months later...

Hope you don't mind me tagging along with this post. Saw this on a local sales site. Did RAF SWBs have the prefix RAF before the number? This looks like a later addition in different typeface.

Screenshot_20240429-224648_Advertsie.jpg.721593aa9318f0f211b19aafe153f4a0.jpg

Interesting.  I'd be interested to see other similarly marked (different font and RAF prefixed) examples.