Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation from German please.

Howard

We have a map in the TrenchMapper project that has a typewritten note.

Using OCR, I think that is:-

1.) In die bezeichnete Trichterlilie geht die Besatzung des vordersten Grabens bei starker Beschießung befehlsgemäß vor. Die Div.bittet, bei dem flankiert renden Feuer diese Trichterlilie zu schonen.

2. ) Die in grün bezeichneten Wege und Bracken dienen anscheinend hauptsächlich dem feindlichen Verkehr. Es wird gebeten, hierauf hauptsächlich das Störungsfeuer zu legen.

Google Translate gives

1.) In the case of heavy fire, the crew of the front trench goes into the designated funnel lily as ordered. The division asks that this funnel lily be spared with the fire flanking it.

2.) The paths and bridges marked in green apparently serve mainly for enemy traffic. It is requested that this be used primarily as a disturbance fire.

Sorry but I have no German, what on earth is a Funnel Lily!

Howard

german.jpg

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

Sorry but I have no German, what on earth is a Funnel Lily!

I don't have any german either but trichterlinie is web translated for me as funnel line

I would thus think it probably means some sort of line of approach - a communication trench perhaps

???
M

I believe in this context it is a line of shell craters.

Regards

Glenn

3 hours ago, Glenn J said:

I believe in this context it is a line of shell craters.

That would make sense = a line of funnel-shaped shell craters.

M

4 hours ago, Howard said:

Google Translate gives

The free version of DeepL translator in much better, the translated text makes sense. I use it to send letters and the result looks perfect. (there are also some minor errors from the OCR)

1: In die bezeichnete Trichterlinie geht die Besatzung des vordersten Grabens bei starker Beschießung befehlsgemäß vor. Die Div. bittet, bei dem flankierenden Feuer diese Trichterlinie zu schonen.
In the designated funnel line, the crew of the foremost trench advances in accordance with orders under heavy shelling. The Div. asks that this funnel line be spared during flanking fire.

2: Die in grün bezeichneten Wege und Brücken dienen anscheinend hauptsächlich dem feindlichen Verkehr. Es wird gebeten, hierauf hauptsächlich das Störungsfeuer zu legen.
The roads and bridges marked in green appear to be used mainly for enemy traffic. It is requested that disruptive fire be directed mainly at these.

Luc.

'Trichter' is the usual German word for both 'crater' and 'funnel'. Automatic translators almost invariably pick 'funnel' with unfortunate results.

Incidentally 'Sprengtrichter' (detonation crater) is the usual term for mine craters.