Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with warship plaque identification.

Sgt Stripes

IMG_20231014_115325.jpg.f37eb0b068bdaf6ec45be8198f8bffab.jpgIMG_20231014_115330.jpg.7b0461d31fa2d87a762282904ec8e723.jpgIMG_20231014_115417.jpg.e59991c12fa63b3fbbb5239d04623469.jpgAny help with identification of this ship would be  great. Looks like a pre Dreadnought Battleship. No signature or writing anywhere on plaque or wood. 

To my landlubbers eye it does look like a pre-dreadnought battleship.  Remarkably similar to the Deutschland-class SMS Pommern attached below.  SMS Pommern was the only battleship, pre-dreadnought or dreadnought, in either fleet to be sunk at the Battle of Jutland.

SMS Pommern.jpeg

Many Thanks TullochArd for pointing me in the direction of the Pommern. It does look like  a Deutschland Class ship or possible Braunschweig Class. I'm learning towards a memorial to the loss of the Pommern but could be a plaque to mark the launch of any of these Class of ships. 

BEAUTIFUL Plaque!

Definitely a pre Dreadnought ship.  Impossible to make out any detail on either bow/stern flags but I agree with Tulloch's assessment.

Edited by RNCVR

Agree this is definitely a Deutschland class. The stepping on the funnels, the two upper deck casemate 17cm guns and the sponsons on the forward 8.8cm are specific to this class. Not a Braunschweig (large 17cm turrets, not casemates; straight funnels and less prominent 8.8cm sponsons forward).

Nothing I can see to indicate which of the five though.

The lifebouy, top left appears to have ink writing on it, unfortunately the picture is out of focus, so I can't be certain. Is it ending in "and"?

Perhaps this plaque was designed for any member of this class of ship and the lifebouy would be where a name could be put.

It is a very nice item.

Tony