Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My second 1907 has arrived

Andrew1966

Good afternoon to you all. So i thought would share some pictures of my second 1907 purchase. Trying to find examples locally seems to be somewhat different, so this was an internet purchase. The prices do seem to vary dramatically, but hopefully now having found the two rarer examples the bank shouldnt be hit so hard ***. Any comments would be very grateful received

Andrew 

20231013_150132.jpg

20231013_150116.jpg

20231013_150107.jpg

20231013_150047.jpg

20231013_150044.jpg

20231013_150034.jpg

20231013_150015.jpg

20231013_145957.jpg

20231013_145944.jpg

20231013_145937.jpg

20231013_145927.jpg

20231013_145917.jpg

Andrew,

Very nice, made by Vickers therefore one of only 10,000 according to the records.

The only Vickers that I have seen with the sharpening of the spine of the blade near the tip (a ‘false edge’).

@4thGordons Is this an Indian Army practice?

Scabbard is stamped H.G.R. 17 = Hepburn, Gale and Ross, made in 1917.

No apparent rust stains, and both bayonet / scabbard in v.g.c., so possibly never issued?

Regards,

JMB

Indian or Australian false edge, tough call.  A lovely example either way!

Hi JMB. Thank you for your comments about my bayonet. I was told when I bought it that the shapening of the false was part of a trial the British carried out and would explain the Enfield stamp. However as DisasterDog has said the only reference I can find is for the Indians and Australians. I have a copy British and Commonwealth bayonets by Skennerton and Richardson. I will keep searching. I am relatively new to 1907s, I have collected the No.4 ( pig sticks ) bayonets for several years. 

Cheers Andrew 

Upper fittings of scabbard is of Remington production. 

All Vickers are interesting to any collection, i am not expert about english bayonets, maybe the clearing hole of pommel was already realised by production?, august 1917? anyway with similar peppering on pommel, i doubt the blueing of handle is period. The scabbard looks much worser so probably not used with this bayonet but replaced later. How could be rusted screws and countersunk and the pommel would have intact blueing?

Edited by AndyBsk

Hi AndyBsk. Thank you for your message, though I am not really what you are saying. Are you suggesting it's perhaps not what it looks like. 

Andrew 

Certainly not, Your piece is nice Vickers P1907, anyway the condition of pommel was probably cleaned and reblued, as You see Your grips screw are rusted, why is not rusted the crosspiece and other areas? probably because the grips are not from that piece, or who cleaned the pommel, forgot to clean the screw and countersunk, otherway i asked experts when it was drilled the hole in pommel, when in 1918 the piece should be probably have a reinspection on blade? Anyway the blueing of handle is not period probably. It was realised by previous owners. The press button of locking nut is unscrewed so the locking lug was removed by cleaning.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank you. I obviously still have a lot to learn, I will confess the No.4 bayonets are far easier. Other than the occasional suspicious mk I they are relatively straightforward. 

Cheers Andrew 

37 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Certainly not, Your piece is nice Vickers P1907, anyway the condition of pommel was probably cleaned and reblued, as You see Your grips screw are rusted, why is not rusted the crosspiece and other areas? probably because the grips are not from that piece, or who cleaned the pommel, forgot to clean the screw and countersunk, otherway i asked experts when it was drilled the hole in pommel, when in 1918 the piece should be probably have a reinspection on blade? Anyway the blueing of handle is not period probably. It was realised by previous owners. The press button of locking nut is unscrewed so the locking lug was removed by cleaning.

Andy BSK,

I originally  thought that 1918 would be too early for a re-inspection, and I don’t see an additional date stamp.

However, on the other ricasso just to the the right of the crown there is an additional inspector’s stamp, so it must have gone in for something.

It is still a VERY nice example of a Vickers Patt. 1907.

Regards,

JMB

36 minutes ago, Andrew1966 said:

Thank you. I obviously still have a lot to learn, I will confess the No.4 bayonets are far easier. Other than the occasional suspicious mk I they are relatively straightforward. 

Cheers Andrew 

It’s one big learning curve Andrew, and you have a very reasonable example….and you’re a braver man than me when trying to work out which of those expensive Mk1 pig stickers are genuine!

Dave.

2 hours ago, Andrew1966 said:

Hi JMB. Thank you for your comments about my bayonet. I was told when I bought it that the shapening of the false was part of a trial the British carried out and would explain the Enfield stamp.  

Cheers Andrew 

Andrew,

“ …would explain the Enfield stamp.”

Is that the additional inspection stamp near the Crown?

I am beginning to think that my statement regarding never issued for service may be debatable.

The blade is very clean, but the screw-bolts are rusted and the locket of the scabbard is pitted.

Bayonets were supposedly greased and packed into boxes for shipment to stores; I have not seen any reference to treatment of scabbards, or actual storage conditions.

However, Knowing the climatic conditions generally prevailing in the British Isles, I would not be surprised to know that long storage could result in some rusting.

Off the top of my head, I think that most of the Vickers that I have seen were dated to 1918, so you may have a quite early example here.

Regards,

JMB

Blade was cleaned too, the blueing of handle and ricasso is not period evidently. From stamps it remains a rare piece.

The false edge was a introduced in Aussie service in WW2 (1942 I think). In the early days of my collecting I had a 1915 lithgow with the false edge added, but still retaining its hook.

Dan

• 2 months later...
On 13/10/2023 at 22:26, Andrew1966 said:

Good afternoon to you all. So i thought would share some pictures of my second 1907 purchase. Trying to find examples locally seems to be somewhat different, so this was an internet purchase. The prices do seem to vary dramatically, but hopefully now having found the two rarer examples the bank shouldnt be hit so hard ***. Any comments would be very grateful received

Andrew 

20231013_150132.jpg

20231013_150116.jpg

20231013_150107.jpg

20231013_150047.jpg

20231013_150044.jpg

20231013_150034.jpg

20231013_150015.jpg

20231013_145957.jpg

20231013_145944.jpg

20231013_145937.jpg

20231013_145927.jpg

20231013_145917.jpg

It is certainly a nice bayonet, but as other have mentioned, it has been refurbished, and not by a factory or the military. Although some on has not done a terrible eye, it is only to the keen eyes on here, it has also been sharpened and then dulled. You can also see where someone has filed the scabbard to attain the RE Remington markings. Vickers are a rare bird and likely given the nature of the lack of Indian markings for refurb, she is Australian. Australian false tips were allowed in times of tip damage as a way to repoint the bayonet without the need or resharpening the radius of the blade. Indian bayonets have a tendency to not be full size with the false tip being ground often applying to various Mks post war. 

Kind regards,

G

I have never seen a VICKERS in the flesh so always nice to see this excellent example Andrew! P.07's are a long road, so I stopped collecting them a while back, but admit I wouldn't mind a VICKERS like this. Nice also to see that distinct 'C' on this one!

Nearly midnight here - so Happy New Year!