Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 S98 Bayonet identification

Winterhawk

May I get an opinion on another German S98 Quillback bayonet before I have regrets on buying it.  This one is marked Simson Co. and has inspection marks on the pommel. It is also marked on the spine with W 1914 and cyphers. I was of the impression that they were not making S98s that late. The others I have come across were mostly pre WWI. Comments?

S98 1914.jpg

S.98nA in 1914 should be probably the last production year, even exist some reworks with flashguard added in early 1915 probably. Is there any unit marking? The M or N proof letter is correct for 1914 Suhl area.

Hello, Winterhawk - I have one that is dated "14" also, and I have no reason to question the date's authenticity.  [It is in a full-length, all-metal scabbard.]  The one you are offered looks perfectly good, too.  The late-dated ones are very scarce.  Regards, Torrey

There exist many bayonets S98 with steel replacement scabbards here by Demitrios and Steve presented.

Unfortunally it would be better to see Your answers in english. the presented Gottscho has nothing to do with S98. Your picture presented here of S98 looks like old modell.

dsc00030.jpg

Edited by AndyBsk

Tranlate of Your answer: For an S 98 and a gottscho there has never been a metal sheath.

In link of Steve You have many replacement steel scabbards of S98.

Your answer:"I say it again, NEVER a metal sheath for the S98 and the gottscho"

You should look at Roy Williams book, certainly it would be nice to have here one language in that case english, but is Your choice what to use. As You known from name of the forum Great War, the bayonet here in forum are from WW1, so the steel metall scabbards used on S98 and Gottschos in WW1 were evidently used in war, which is confirmed on period pictures. Even in 1898-1913 similar steel scabbards are not confirmed on S98 bayonets.

F.Rudiger didnt wrote about any leather scabbard for Gottschos, there exist only steel metall plate scabbards, as this is already a war time production piece.

Edited by AndyBsk

Bonjour,,fourreau fer pour gottschos de mitrailleur, fourreau cuir pour S98 .mais je n’ai vu de fourreau fer.

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG

DSC_0555.JPG

DSC_0554.JPG

Edited by landser

Bonjour.

Je n’ai jamais vu un fourreau en fer pour un S 98, il n’existe pas, pour les gottschos j’ai des doutes, désolé mais la photo de votre ami avec les gottschos provient d’un site de vente sur internet, ce n’est pas une preuve.

Couleur du texte

Aligner à droiteErsatz de Baionnette Allemande S14 *** GOTTSHO *** (centre-militaria.com)

Sorry to say, but Steve has here many steel plate scabbards on S98, or iron when You mean its a iron, i personally believe these were stahl blechscheiden, and when You believe they didnt exist You should read Ch.Merys book, even You dont read german sources. otherway You shouls study the german bayonets. I recommend You  german F.Rudiger books.

It's hard to see...
but does the one with the saw have it removed or was it damaged by corrosion?

More like the remains of the upper fittings B)

What it means when found from 1914?, production of steel plate scabbards started in 1914 and continued into 1915, the presented dig up pieces are of both models S98aA on right and S98nAS on left.

To answer the original question there are no regimental marks on this piece, just the pommel inspection marks and the ones shown. It has a leather scabbard that appears unmarked. Will send a photo when I get it and able to inspect more closely. On subject of steel scabbards of the five  S98s for sale in Canada by dealers two of the five have steel replacement scabbards. They seem fairly common?

Yes not so rare, in link that i provided from Steve collection here in forum, are large number reported, they replaced the leather scabbards, which was weak in combat use in trenches and full years of services in outdoor by WW1 campaings. Otherway in 1915 were withdrawn the S98 from trench areas as not well for the condition of war mainly on west front.

Another question for you. One of the things I have noticed is that S98s with steel scabbards often seem to have a debit cut just in front of the hilt in the blade. One of the dealers told me he thought it was just damage but I have seen it on a couple of them. It reminds me of the French Berthier bayonets which have just such a cut to help hold the bayonet in place in the scabbard. Thoughts on that?

Should be presented but i believe the spring ends remained traces in blade area where it ends, when the bayonet is fully inserted into scabbard. Possible the inner spring of metall scabbards were much more harder as the leather counterparts. Personally i dont believe germans would add cuts like is on Berthier for holding better in scabbard.

Edited by AndyBsk