Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC - what does this mean?

roselyn2

• Admin

You will need to post an image of the MIC, provide a link to it or provide a name/number so a member can it look it up for themself.

I would suggest that will be the only way you will receive assistance.

Experience tells me that when somebody "transcribes" what they think they are seeing on a document, nearly 100% of the time it actually says something else.

Regards

Russ

• RussT changed the title to MIC - what does this mean?
17 hours ago, roselyn2 said:

On a M I Card.  Draft Cono Duty France.  Can any member give me some information on this ?.   Thank you.   Lyn.

As a guess until someone can post an image of the MIC, it might refer to Draft Conducting Duty France.  Drafts were groups of soldier reinforcements travelling to France usually under an officer (OIC Draft) and senior NCO (sergeant and above).  The term conducting meant accompanying in a position of authority.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Draft Cond duty rather than draft cono duty, so I’d say Frogsmile was correct.

3 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Draft Cond duty rather than draft cono duty, so I’d say Frogsmile was correct.

Yes that format of abbreviation confirms it for me as what I had imagined it to be.  He was clearly acting in the SNCO role that I described.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all for your help.   Looking at the M. I. Card.  B. W. M. Is the only medal issued.  The group has a Victory medal.  Was  L. S. Cardell entitled to the Victory medal ?   Or any other information.   Lyn.

Interesting to see that Leonard Southwell Cardell (13 Jun 1894 - 10 Nov 1969) did not apply for campaign medal entitlement until he had been embodied in 1939. You could always apply for his service record from APC Glasgow.

There is a similar entry for 290262 Colour Sergeant E D Williams, who has only entitlement to a BWM, no VM.

'Theatre of War in which served' 'Draft Conducting'.

I've seen comments in the medal rolls being updated up to the 1980s, so it seems surprising that he does not appear in the same roll as the aforementioned 290262 Colour Sergeant E D Williams, old ref B350 archive reference WO 329/1050. On the same page as Williams is the entry for 4842 WO2 F Chapman. His sole entitlement of a BWM was claimed in 1942.

without reading into it, there were a few soldiers/officers serving that were never in the main war zones and thus , their only entitlement would have been the BWM. 

It was not uncommon for certain "types" to self award medals they were not entitled to , just to make a more impressive rack. You would think, the Victory, would have been the medal most issued, as anyone fighting would expect to be rewarded for their part in the victory, whatever/wherever they were.

I saw reported  recently, a Police  Officer with an extra medal he was never issued. A Falklands medal. Also, a work mate has served with the Fire service long enough to have received 3 medals, mainly jubilee and coronation. As I  understand it, only a certain amount of medals were available so it became a lottery. The question arises, if a fellow Fire fighter missed out and purchased a copy himself, is he allowed to wear it?

back to your question, if he was not entitled, it should not be there. more research needed.

6 minutes ago, chaz said:

You would think, the Victory, would have been the medal most issued, as anyone fighting would expect to be rewarded for their part in the victory, whatever/wherever they were.

But it's the other way round.
You couldn't earn a VM alone, whereas you could have only the BWM.

You earned the BWM by leaving your native shore. You got the VM by entering a Theatre of War.
It's all explained here:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

Yes indeed.
A very clear yet succinct answer from D_S_y_S to the earlier comment about the nuances of medal entitlement, and how the BWM requirements differ from that of the Victory Medal.