Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Apostrophe or not?

manicminer

Can anyone solve a conundrum for me please?  When did the Lovat's Scouts change name to the Lovat Scouts?

Searched the internet but find only conflicting answers and usage of the apostrophe.

TIA

Phil

IMG_20231012_115508699.jpg

IMG_20231012_115530486_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Sorry, Macminer and Jay, I do not wish to hijack this Topic ...

But having been a language teacher (that was almost a quarter of a century ago) and hence (still) a nitpicker, I am still interested in why there is no apostrophe in "In Flanders Fields". Shouldn't it be In Flanders' Fields ? No one has ever been able to give me a satisfying answer. Am I the only nitpicker ? Or just wrong when wanting to write In Flanders' Fields ? Even the Ypres Museum "couldn't care less" ... :mellow:

Aurel

When used in English, I think Flanders can be an adjective such as in Flanders Poppy.

Beaten to it by Russ T!

Edited by PhilB

Phil and Russ,

I understand, and agree. (About a proper noun being used as an adjective. One of my favourite jokes started with : "Some Texas cowboys were telling yarns ..." I would never suggest that "Some Texas' cowboys" or "Some Texan cowboys ..." looks or sounds better.

And yes, John McCrae has the right to call the poem whatever he likes.

But let me ask you a question ... How would you translate "De Geschiedenis van Vlaanderen" ?

As Flanders history ? As Flanders' history ? As the history of Flanders ? Or who knows, maybe as Flemish history ? (Flemish = our adjective Vlaamse.)

I see my dictionary translates "De Vlaamse Leeuw" (= our flag) as : the Flemish Lion and the Lion of Flanders. (I agree : the Flanders' Lion does not sound well, does it ?)

Nitpicker Aurel

Russ,

I see. 

And ... does a sentence like  Flanders' history is full of battles   sound or look odd ? (That's why it is called "Het slagveld (= battlefield) van Europa.")

Aurel

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Aurel Sercu said:

And ... does a sentence like  Flanders' history is full of battles   sound or look odd ?

I would say it looks more odd than it sounds - because in saying it no one knows whether you have used an apostrophe or not :D

Nevertheless, my preference would be the history of Flanders is full of battles.