Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Baffled by RMLI Service Record!

Archer

Dear Forum members

Pembroke GP

I have done a search of the Forum archives but I cannot find a reference to "Pembroke GP" or even "Pembroke Group."

But that seems to be what appears on this service record belonging to a Private soldier in the Chatham Division of the RMLI [extract below].

He was "embarked," which means he was drafted to do duty with a Royal Navy unit.

Have any of you seen this before, or have an explanation for this posting?

Thank you in advance

William

Extract.jpg

A name and service number would be helpful. Have you looked at qualification on the ADM 159 and matched it with the dates at Pembroke?

58 DM.

@58 Div Mule

Nineham 18279. I don't see any special qualifications relevant to his posting to "Pembroke GP"

:cheers:

It could be a poorly written GD = General Duties ,or (less common) GS = General Service.

Either way it looks like a draft from the Chatham Division RMLI Barracks across to HMS PEMBROKE for general and security duties in the Chatham Royal Naval Barracks.

"Embarked" does not always imply a "draft to duty with a Royal Navy unit". It can apply more generally to any draft away from an RMLI Divisional HQ.

The letter after the G does not look like the D of Do (for Ditto) in the line above. Nor does it look much like the P of Pembroke. 

Any capital S elsewhere in the image?

@horatio2

I always follow your advice, General, but this one has me uneasy.

To me it looked strongly like GP, but I could accept GS. I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had some references. It looks weird  :lol::lol::lol:

The name of his commanding officer doesn't appear in the Navy List [see below].

IMAGE.jpg

Edited by Archer

@seaJane

I did reply to you last night, but my post disappeared, and has not subsequently re-appeared.

Any capital S elsewhere in the image?

The problem with these wonderful images is that they are running records, filled in or written up by Admiralty clerks over a period of time, which means that the handwriting is not consistent. To my eyes the second letter of the abbreviation looks to be a squishy version of the capital letter at the start of the word "Pembroke" :lol:

5 hours ago, Archer said:

To my eyes the second letter of the abbreviation looks to be a squishy version of the capital letter at the start of the word "Pembroke"

Fair enough!

sJ

12 hours ago, Archer said:

I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had some references.

@Archer I share your frustration! References are hard to come by.

A bit out of timescale (1946) but, nevertheless, useful is Admiralty Fleet Order P.114/46 "Abbreviations used in Royal Marine Instructions", Many abbreviations listed are of very long-standing.

Also, I find a similar butshorter list in "Tracing Your Royal Marine Ancestors - A Guide for Family Historians" (Brooks and Little, 2008) Appendix 2.

The closest 'hit' in both the above references is GD = General duty/General duties.

GS = General Service is not listed as specifically RM but it is commonly used in the Naval Service. In most acronyms listed beginning with  G it stands for General.....

Consistency in the entries made by service record clerks is a quality greatly to be desired but often not to be found. Add on handwriting and ...........here we find ourselves!

Thank you, General. I was waylaid by "Group" because the Reserve Fleet was held in groups, but clearly Pembroke could never be part of a group.

What say you to Commanding Officer C or G Newton? This shows the clerks' ability to read handwriting was as good as ours! There is no officer in the December 1919 Navy List that fits. I had hoped the we could work backwards from the CO to the unit, but I was stymied there as well :lol:

Thanks again to all who have had a stab at this query.

:cheers:

William

Edited by Archer
Missing word

13 minutes ago, Archer said:

What say you to Commanding Officer C or G Newton?

I have beeen unable to trace this officer through Navy Lists or medal rolls. Looks like another clerk-error.