Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

07 BEDFORDSHIRE régiment

landser

M. Landser,

Bienvenue au Forum de la Grande Guerre.

You have an early (4 ‘09) example of the Pattern 1907 bayonet, made by the Wilkinson company.

Not only has the hook quillon survived, but this bayonet has not had a clearance hole drilled through the pommel.

I cannot see the ‘BED’ notation very well—is there also a number there?

Looking at the photo that is second down from the top, and doing an expansion, the hook seems to be less uniform than I would have expected—perhaps it is just the lighting.

Amicalement,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2023 at 17:27, JMB1943 said:

I cannot see the ‘BED’ notation very well—is there also a number there?

Looking at the photo that is second down from the top, and doing an expansion, the hook seems to be less uniform than I would have expected—perhaps it is just the lighting.

Hi JMB - and a very belated Mery Xmas to you and looking forward to a happy New Year!

Yes, there are some problems with this one, methinks. The regimenal number is BD5 / 1(?)04 - and all 5th battalions were raised after August 1914, so it would be odd for one to have a hookie.

I am also unhappy with the finish of the hook - an X-Ray would be useful here.

Julian

Agree with Julian re. the hook, looks a bit iffy.

Mike.

Bonjour et bonne année 2024.

Il n’y a rien de douteux, juste l’hameçon un peu tordu, quant au régiment, vérifiez vos sources !!

Polo.

19 minutes ago, landser said:

Bonjour et bonne année 2024.

Il n’y a rien de douteux, juste l’hameçon un peu tordu, quant au régiment, vérifiez vos sources !!

Happy New Year to you also!

As for sources, well the Bedfordshire regiment's official marking abbreviation was 'BD', as you have, and there is a number after it, which looks like a '5' to me. And the sources I have indicate the 1/5 was 'embodied' (made ready for service) in August 1914. It would not be impossible for it to receive 'old kit', but I find it unlikely that a hookie was in storres in August 1914. Just my honest opinion!  

What is really needed is a better photograph of the marking - please?