Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death of Ray Westlake

cmf

I don't think that this sad news has been reported elsewhere on the forum (please correct me if I am wrong), but the latest issue of 'The Armourer' magazine has announced that the great Ray Westlake, prolific military author, including numerous titles relating to the Great War, has passed away. The magazine also gives the web address of a JustGiving page set up by his widow in his memory, in aid of the City Hospice in Cardiff. I hope it is in order to post it here: https://shorturl.at/gmISX  

Chris

Sad news. I bought a number of my books from Ray. He was always a helpful vendor and his own books are greats assets.

That is sad news indeed, I remember the days (must be 30 years ago almost) that I bought books from him (the order of battle series and others). These were still the early internet days. One had to send cheques or cash to pay (those were the days that postal services still worked almost flawlessly).

RIP

Jan

Edited by AOK4

I am very sorry to learn of the loss of this authoritative titan of many British military historical publications.  His research and written work was prolific and I think he’ll be especially remembered for his many works on units of the auxiliary forces, as well as his (and the only) seminal book on shoulder titles.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Sad news indeed. Ray was a delightful man, very funny and knowledgeable. A great public speaker as well. I used to keep the covers of his book catalogues for the photos alone. 

Very sad news. I never met him, but I wish I had. His books have been so valuable in my research.

RM

Yes, that's very sad.

He was very helpful to me when I was looking for information on war memorials in Gwent. I bought copies of his two books on the subject, and he was kind enough to send me a copy of his research about what might have been a third book but never was.   

Just Caught up with this news. Sad to learn of his passing, perhaps like many, my now ever-growing library began with some of Ray’s books and a valuable source they still are. RIP

Peter

• 2 months later...

Error

Edited by rickpreston@nasuwt.net
Error

Thank you Chris. it was my mistake.

Richard