Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need a little help working out where my greatgrandad was assigned

Curtis27

Ive only managed to to work out a fair bit of 281st siege battery from the war diarys. Cant really make out what alot of the rest on there says or means.IMG_1717.jpeg.e33c79a4cd81f2c96b43aff417b12624.jpeg

Cant seem to make it what much of it says besides 281st siege battery which i know a little about,but thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!IMG_1717.jpeg.843cfb20b0528248a5e9162161e198cf.jpeg

• Admin

He appears to have either been conscripted, or previously attested under the Derby Scheme. You have not posted his name, nor the entire form but educated guess is that he was originally posted to the Royal Field Artillery Depot and then to the 9th Reserve Battery.  Essentially home service or training units.

He was sent to France and the BEF in November 1916 and presumably posted to an RFA unit in the field but on 24 July 1917 posted to the RGA and 281 Battery

10 May 1916 to Number 2 Depot (Royal Field Artillery)

11 May 1916 posted into its 9th Reserve Battery

14 November 1916 to the British Expeditionary Force in France

24 July 1917 transferred to Royal Garrison Artillery

22 July 1917 posted to Fifth Army Pool

24 July 1917 posted to 281st Siege Battery RGA.

Hope that helps.

Pleasure. Unless you really get into it, you can probably ignore the given details of the regulations concerning his transfer RFA to RGA.

It seems most of the info i could find was once he transferred to RGA and provided artillery for the battle of Passchendaele but im so glad to have known how he actually got there in the first place,faked his age to sign up 2 weeks before Christmas,crazy. Thanks again! 

• Admin

You raised identical threads in two different sub-forums.

I have now merged both threads together - you can edit one of your opening posts above if you so desire.

In future we would appreciate it if you would refrain from creating duplicated posts across different sub-forums as this will lead to needless duplicated effort by members, as done here.

In the meantime good luck in your research :)

Regards

Russ