Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Puttee problems

GRANVILLE

Although I can't quote any source atm, I know I have read in the past of puttees causing circulation issues to the legs and the men affected being permitted to remove them. Hopefully someone can assist with some confirmation on this.

I'd be fascinated to know more about the circumstances under which such problems were arising. I imagine that when wet, there must have been a tendency for the puttees to shrink slightly - especially when new? On the other hand, the legs of men on the move and working hard, may well have swollen to an extent.

What I find curious is that standard advice from the NHS for poor circulation in the legs, is the wearing of compression stockings - in some instances 24/7.

David

• Admin

There’s a vast difference between compression hosiery and puttees over trousers and socks. Compression hosiery should be measured  to fit correctly and in some cases, made to measure. The  nearest to puttees  I’d guess would be the compression bandage two layer system. But that’s made of a stretchy material, and should only be applied by people correctly trained to do so, you have to get the level of compression correct. 
I doubt whether puttees would stretch, and as you say could shrink. 

Could it be individuals who suffered by wrapping their own puttees too tight and then wearing them day in, day out (I’m thinking at the front) where they wouldn’t remove them daily?

Simon