Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My second 1907

Andrew1966

Good morning to you all. After all the amazing help I was given with the purchase of my first 1907 i have now  purchased a second. I haven't received it yet and will obviously post more pictures once i have received it. However i am wondering if anybody can help with firstly what the stamp is just to the right of the crown. secondly i am being told this is an example of an experimental one with an upper edge, could anybody tell me more please. Andrew  Screenshot_20231006_174602_Facebook3.jpg.306f1d38b9941a464b1364be598dec64.jpg

Andrew,

I’m afraid to say the reversed 9 in the 1907 sets the alarm bells off for me to start off with.

Dave.

Here’s a pic of my vickers for comparison Andrew….they have one of the lowest Great War production runs so that makes them sought after and popular.

Dave.

IMG_5182.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Andrew,

I’m afraid to say the reversed 9 in the 1907 sets the alarm bells off for me to start off with.

Dave.

I’m no expert on 07s, Dave, but the 9 doesn’t look reversed to me.

11 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I’m no expert on 07s, Dave, but the 9 doesn’t look reversed to me.

Hi Dave. I am so grateful for your comment, as a consequence I have asked for another photograph

Screenshot_20231008_122741_WhatsApp.jpg

Stamping looks OK to me

The stamp to the right of the crown you asked about is an inspection stamp (I think Enfield - indicated by the E - crown over number over E)

I am not aware of an "experimental version" adding an upper edge (do you have a picture of the point of the blade?) but I believe during WWII false edges were ground onto blades and Indian versions of the P1907 were produced later (WWII and after) where a false edge/point was put on the blade in production. If your blade has been modified in this manner I suspect there might be a reissue stamp/date on the reverse of the blade.  The style of the false edge differs slightly between British/Australian and Indian (pics in Skennerton and Richardson in the various chapters)

Chris

Second pic is much better, yes, stamping ok and as they should be….sorry to startle you but these things are worth checking👍👍👍.

Dave.

A couple of nice looking  07's, not seen a Vickers before in the hand, I believe i've seen a chrome plated Vickers example for sale at some point, presumably a parade bayonet 

Yes looks like strange 9 in the 1907, which is damaged in lower part, so it looks like the number is reversed. looks like identical damage in Vickers name.

• 2 months later...

The better comparison would have been with the 'VICKERS' stamp - the flaw in the 'C' is very noticeable.

Hi. Thank you for your comment. Though I am little confused, are you suggesting that their might be  potential problem with the authenticity of the bayonet. 

Regards Andrew 

No, not at all! The '9' is badly stamped - but the 'C' with its gap is very distinctive for a real VICKERS!