Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recent rifle acquisition

Mattr82

I had a good recent couple of weeks with regards to rifle purchases.

A nice early (1915 possibly?) Ross Mk.III and a ConD IV.

The ConD IV has been a rifle I have wanted for a long time. I have my theories on how these rifles came into Australia with no Australian stampings on the receiver.

This rifle was re-barrelled at the Lithgow factory in 1945. That’s pretty unusual considering there was a concerted attempt to remove them out of Australian service immediately after WW1. They were certainly unwanted per se. It would have been brought back into service when in December 1941, all .303 calibre rifles were to be tuned in to the nearest military depot from where they were located.

At least 4 regiments of the light horse received “Mk IV” rifles in early to mid 1917 to replace the older rifles still sighted for Mk.VI ammunition. At the end of hostilities in 1918, most of the light horse regiments handed in their rifles to British ordnance staff. However, there was a flareup in tensions in Egypt and some of the Light horse regiments had to stay behind until early to mid 1919.

Official records from 1919 show that the light horse regiments still in Egypt were to embark on vessels as soon as they could, and return to Australia with their equipment. That’s where I believe these rarely seen ConD IVs are from.

IMG_6095.jpeg

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6112.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6121.jpeg

IMG_6122.jpeg

That Cond IV is a great example - congrats!

Thanks mate! I was trying to find out more information on them online and see other examples and yours popped up on this website. I think yours is probably the nicest ConD IV I’ve seen online to date!

Edited by Mattr82

• 3 weeks later...

A little confused, what exactly does Cond. IV (4) mean?

It’s an earlier MLE converted ( Con’d) into ShtLE MKIII format.

the IV indicates it was the 4th approved conversion pattern ( previously there had been other Con’d Mks of older rifles into newer formats)

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

• 2 weeks later...

As a Canadian…I’d like to find out more about your new Ross. :DCongrats! Any markings remaining on the butt stock? 

Edited by RangeRover