Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sources That Talk About the Battle of the Drina?

Robert de Niro

Hi, I am looking for sources that go into depth on the battle of Drina. I've been able to find very broad overviews as well as a few Serbian sources that only talk about very limited aspects. Does anyone know of any encompassing sources that go into detail. They don't have to be English. 

thanks, 

Hello,

Have you tried the Austro-Hungarian Official History?

Jan

'The Official History of the Great War Military Operations Macedonia Volume I' by Captain Cyril Falls pages 10 to 15 covers the battle but probably not in the depth you are looking for.  An online version of the book can be accessed by a link in a pinned topic here in the Salonica and the Balkans sub forum.

Hi,

Have you tried James Lyon's book, "Serbia and the Balkan Front, 1914" ? It's probably the most comprehensive book in English on these operations, and the author uses many Serbian sources.

Does Ivo Andrić’s The Bridge Over The Drina have anything specific? I used to have a copy but I can’t put my hands on it right now. 

As AFO says, Serbia and the Balkan Front 1914 by James Lyon has a chapter on the battle.

John R. Schindler, “Disaster on the Drina: The Austro-Hungarian Army in Serbia, 1914,” War in History 9 (2002)