Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Museum Photos/Records In Storage

Young_dirk

I was hopeful that the RAF museum had archives of online-accessible photos and records, but I suppose that does sound too good to be true. Does anyone know of a way to request photocopies or scans of items on their website? They appear to have a lot of photographs of the 82nd Squadron from 1917-1919 that I would like to sift through, but not really any means to make requests (at least that I could tell).

For those interested in potentially helping, I am searching for more information on my great-grandfather, Lieutenant Robert Andrews, M.C. (CEF). He was seconded to the 82nd squadron around 1918. I have his service record from both the RAF and CEF, but not much is covered in there, especially photos. I'm also trying to do research on other members of his squadron.

Let me know if you need any more supplementary info.

18 hours ago, Young_dirk said:

I was hopeful that the RAF museum had archives of online-accessible photos and records, but I suppose that does sound too good to be true. Does anyone know of a way to request photocopies or scans of items on their website? They appear to have a lot of photographs of the 82nd Squadron from 1917-1919 that I would like to sift through, but not really any means to make requests (at least that I could tell).

For those interested in potentially helping, I am searching for more information on my great-grandfather, Lieutenant Robert Andrews, M.C. (CEF). He was seconded to the 82nd squadron around 1918. I have his service record from both the RAF and CEF, but not much is covered in there, especially photos. I'm also trying to do research on other members of his squadron.

Let me know if you need any more supplementary info.

Hi

Do you have the late Mike O'Connor's two part article on No. 82 Squadron that appeared in 'Cross & Cockade International Journal' Vol. 32 No.1 and No. 2, in 2001?  This has much detail on the squadron and photographs (including those from the RAF Museum).  Part 2, page 74 has two photographs of 'B' Flight, fairly late in the war, there is a Lt. R. Andrews named in both of them (one photo is sourced as RAFM P13488).  If you have not got it it may be of some use.

Mike

51 minutes ago, MikeMeech said:

Do you have the late Mike O'Connor's two part article on No. 82 Squadron that appeared in 'Cross & Cockade International Journal' Vol. 32 No.1 and No. 2, in 2001?

I did not, but I just bought them. Thank you for mentioning those sources. That is my great-grandfather in those two photos. 

I was able to get in contact with someone at the RAF Museum and they mentioned that photo/record requests are on pause until April 2024 due to some major expansions. They did mention that in-person requests are still available, but I'm in the U.S and have no plans to visit England any time soon. Good food for thought for anyone else that may be interested in reaching out to the museum, though.