Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting notes on a soldier's effects record

FrancesH

Donald George Walter Hume served in the South African Infantry although he was a British citizen. He was killed in 1917, and his service record has not survived. However, from the record of his effects (detail attached) it appears that his death was accidental? 

I would be most grateful if someone can interpret the two abbreviations in the column headed 'Regiment, Rank, etc', that is 'P.E.', and 'P.A. Sig. Co.' (obviously signalling company). Any further comments welcomed. If it's relevant, he was an 'inspector of boilers' in South Africa before the war!

1917 Donald Hume's effects.jpg

Thank you so much!

Thanks Russ, even I was pretty sure about that one! :D

7 hours ago, FrancesH said:

Donald George Walter Hume served... South African

I do believe that his service record will have survived, but you would need to hire a professional researcher to go to the archive at Pretoria, and make a copy. I think it's a reasonably priced admin fee.

Some basic details here
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/7693298

From FMP

First name(s)  Donald George Walter
Stories  Cemetery Visit.: I visited the Cemetery and paid my respects during a recent Leger Battlefields tour.
Last name  Hume
Links  Donald George Walter: CWGC record
Birth year  1878
Source  View the Source record
Birth date  -
Copyright  -
Service number  10502
User facts  Gender : Male
Mother : Georgina Howard Dumbell
Age On : 38
Cemetery/Memorial : Nord France Zuydcoote Military Cemetery II. D. 14.
Nature of Death : Accidentally killed.
Addresses : 1, St. Philip's Terrace, Gratton Rd., Cheltenham, England United Kingdom Their own
First names : Donald George Walter
Father : W. F. Hume
Rank  Corporal
Country  Great Britain
Year  1914-18
Record set  Lives Of The First World War 1914-1918
Death year  1917
Category  Military, armed forces & conflict
Death date  17 Nov 1917
Subcategory  First World War
Corps  South African Engineers
Collections from  Great Britain, UK None
Service  South African Services

copyright Findmypast 2019

Thank you, Johnboy. Although I had these references, if a relative or other researcher is looking up DGW Hume, these citations will be very much appreciated. Thank you again for taking the trouble.

familysearch has two versions of his South African Death Notice - the equivalent of probate - one signed and dated 15th July 1918, with his Soldiers Will extract attached, (Corporal 10502 D.G.W. Hume, S.African Signal Company, R.E) and another dated 21st August 1918 with slightly different family information, but all the additional pages looks to be identical. (With familysearch you need to scroll through the document to pick up all the relevant pages until you come to an entry for a new person - the source documents from South Africa often contain blank pages, giving the impression the end has been reached.)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLRL-JV5Q

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLR2-5H59

There is nothing new about the circumstances of his death - it just states he died on active service with the British Expeditionary Force.

Those probates only cover his effects in South Africa, which are then listed. It does mention that probate in England has already been settled.

Hope that helps,
Peter

Thank you so much!