Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Authenticity and Maker Mark of German M17 Helmet

Centaur1a

Hello everyone,

I was just after some assistance please with this German M17 helmet I am looking to acquire.

Mainly the things I wanted to know if the camo is original or has been painted later. There is a regiment number painted "VI" so I think it may be original but not sure. 

Also the maker mark. Not sure if it is 2.66 or Q.66.

I don't know much about this stuff so any help would be appreciated. 

I can also provide more photos if needed.

Thank you, 

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

Q 66 is Quist, Esslingen/Neckar maker, VI roman nummeral was not used by Regiments designation. Could be smaller units.

Hello, Centaur1a - The helmet, liner, chin strap, and camouflage all look 100% original to me.  (I've either owned or handled at least 50 camouflaged helmets in my time.)  I would be pleased to add it to my collection.  Regards, Torrey

13 hours ago, Alexander McLean said:

Hello, Centaur1a - The helmet, liner, chin strap, and camouflage all look 100% original to me.  (I've either owned or handled at least 50 camouflaged helmets in my time.)  I would be pleased to add it to my collection.  Regards, Torrey

Thank you Alexander. That's really reassuring to hear. 

16 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

Q 66 is Quist, Esslingen/Neckar maker, VI roman nummeral was not used by Regiments designation. Could be smaller units.

Thank you Andy. That is very helpful info. Either way the insignia adds a great personal touch to it. From my reading I heard there was an order in 1918 to dye all brown leather black. Is that why the chinstrap is black in this case? I have just seen many examples with a brown chinstrap is all. 

I dont believe the chinstrap is blackened, normally darkened in years, with some oil probably .