Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DC78

New to the forum here,

My dad had this box in our basement for as long as I can remember, said it was my grandfather’s, but after some google searches, I’m thinking maybe it was my great* grandfather’s…

It appears to be an ammo box of some kind from that era, if anybody could help ID exactly what it is/what it’s from that would be awesome

Also, if anybody knows what the number on the inside of the lid refers to - “701”

Thanks!

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

Hello and welcome.

The catch mechanism seems elaborate ( on my phone screen it looks like brass) for an ammo box. Given the sheer number of ammo boxes required for a 4yr+ war and the scarcity of raw materials as the conflict wore on I wonder if the box was for something less common than ammunition, perhaps telephone/radio type equipment.
Sadly I’ve no thoughts on what that kit could be !

It may help other members if you could provide dimensions.

All this considered, it wouldn’t be the first I’ve been shot down on  this forum.

Simon

Ive just noticed the joints at the corner which I’m fairly sure would be to elaborate for an ammo box (there must have been hundreds of thousands required by all sides)

Edited by mancpal

25 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Hello and welcome.

The catch mechanism seems elaborate ( on my phone screen it looks like brass) for an ammo box. Given the sheer number of ammo boxes required for a 4yr+ war and the scarcity of raw materials as the conflict wore on I wonder if the box was for something less common than ammunition, perhaps telephone/radio type equipment.
Sadly I’ve no thoughts on what that kit could be !

It may help other members if you could provide dimensions.

All this considered, it wouldn’t be the first I’ve been shot down on  this forum.

Simon

Ive just noticed the joints at the corner which I’m fairly sure would be to elaborate for an ammo box (there must have been hundreds of thousands required by all sides)

Thanks for the speedy reply! I’m a complete layman for this stuff so bear with me *** I also thought the dovetail joints were interesting, especially for something being mass produced… that being said, it looks very similar to some M1917 Browning ammunition boxes that I saw in my internet searches - the latch looks identical to those boxes, but the difference being my box lacks either the slot in the end of the box or the beveled corner that I’ve seen in some photos for the M1917.

It’s currently in my storage container and I wont be going back there for a few days, so I can’t give you exact dimensions - I’d say roughly 4” wide x 8” tall x 14” long

And for further reference, I know my grandfather served in the navy during the Korean War, but I’m not sure if US had phased the M1917 out by then,

thanks again!

As I previously mentioned I’m used to getting shot down.

I looked at images of the M1917 ammo boxes and think your box could be little else. 
Think it’s time to rest my brain. Good night 

Simon

19 minutes ago, mancpal said:

As I previously mentioned I’m used to getting shot down.

I looked at images of the M1917 ammo boxes and think your box could be little else. 
Think it’s time to rest my brain. Good night 

Simon

I wasn’t trying to shoot you down, I’m open to all suggestions of what this box might be! I appreciate your help nonetheless

I wasn’t suggesting you were, just that if I am feeling sure about something I’m often barking up the wrong tree.

So it appears I may have answered my own question, a google search for “701 ammo box” resulted in finding “Gilbert Toys Tool Chest”, it is indeed a WW1 ammo box, repurposed to be a kid’s tool box! My grandpa was using it to store old drill bits *** another box online in much better condition shows a “701” printed in the same location as it’s shown on my box 

IMG_3485.png

IMG_3486.png

IMG_3487.jpeg