Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual shell casing

KatieTreslove

I found this among my Grandfathers belongings after he passed away.

I have seen other shell casing but this appears to be quite different.

it has ‘1919 Peace’ in the middle and ‘Beaucourt’ at the bottom 

it would up or be great to know a little bit more about this 

many thanks 

IMG_6100.jpeg

IMG_6101.jpeg

That’s great thank you so much - would you say they are fairly common the shell casing itself? Obviously the etching itself is unique.  Would this be something a museum would like to have and if so which one? 
thanks again

It’s not rare or particularly valuable I’m afraid and probably wouldn’t be of much interest to a museum. I would personally keep it as a family heirloom or pass it on to another family member who might want it.

Well, it's British ( Broad Arrow /|\ ) and probably 'N'aval, and might have been made in January 1896. I don't recognise the logo at 3 o'clock. 

It looks as if it's received a full charge, then a reduced one, then 3 more full charges, making it a much-reloaded case - but there's no big 'C' for Cordite. Makes me wonder it was a well-used 6-pounder Mk.II saluting gun blank cartridge loaded with black powder? Dimensions, of course, would help identify the calibre.

Sorry - there is a 'C'. The blank bit is nonsense! :doh:

Edited by MikB

I think that’s a naval 12 Pounder 12CWT case. The maker mark is for Kings Norton Metals.

Thank you both that’s great - would it do you think have been used in WW1 or used prior for training possibly as it was made 18 years prior?

More than 4700 of the guns were built, and mounted in ships from 1894 to WW2 - destroyers, submarines,  armed merchantmen etc. So WW1 use is well within possibility. They'd *normally* be used in small-ship skirmishes, rather than battles between cruiser-sized ships or larger. 

Edited by MikB