Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mention in dispatches - London Gazette search request

clive_hughes

Hi all,

I'm checking up on an Anglesey soldier (not a fatality for once).  His unit old comrades organisation for the 14th Battalion RWF published an Embarkation roll (1 December 1915) post-war, in which it's stated (in the addenda) that he was one of a number of Other Ranks awarded a Mention in Dispatches.  He was demobilised in February 1919. 

21303 Corporal (Acting Sergeant) Ellis Pritchard

Can anyone with greater facility in searching the London Gazette indices please let me know if such an award was listed by them?  

Many thanks,

Clive

He is here Clive….page 8591.

Dave.

16 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

Can anyone with greater facility in searching the London Gazette indices please let me know if such an award was listed by them?

Surname and number and it goes right there https://www.thegazette.co.uk - no other entries using those.

6 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

He is here Clive….page 8591.

This might help https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31439/supplement/8591

8th July, 1919. The following is a continuation of Sir D. Haig's Despatch of the 16th March, 1919, submitting names deserving of special mention: — ... ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS ... Pritchard, 21303 Cpl. (A./Sjt.) E., 14th Bn

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add link for LG

Thank you both very much indeed.  Pritchard's descendant lives not far away from me and will I hope be very pleased to know this.  

The link to the LG search engine will also be most useful for my own research purposes.  

Much obliged to you,

Clive

On 02/10/2023 at 12:53, clive_hughes said:

The link to the LG search engine will also be most useful for my own research purposes.  

That was the idea Clive - hope you find it useful.

Just be aware that their OCR is very dodgy at times and the search can be very quirky.

A few hints/tips:

• Less can be more so surname and number is generally best for OR
  • Remember initial officers' commissions and higher awards use forename(s) but promotions and lower awards use initial(s) [or sometimes forename initial(s) surname]
  • Search under forename forename surname, forename initial surname and initial initial surname
  • Forename, especially second can run into surname as can an initial
  • Try variants [eg Mc and Mac] [eg Wilfrid/Wilfred]
  • Use of "xxxx  yyyyyy" can be useful.
  • The use of a publication date period can help limit the number of hits to the required period [ [on left side] [e.g. 04/08/1914 to 31/12/1921] and especially then ranking by oldest date [at top] makes the list easier to read and visually search
  • Expand the search results to a list of more than the original 10 hits is handy [up to 100] [at top]
  • LG published a few days before EG got published [usually exactly the same text]

Enjoy!

M

Edit: References to "left side" and "at top" refer once you have got an initial list of 'hits' from https://www.thegazette.co.uk, - once you have a list up you can then revise your search parameters

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Dear All,

I was always under the impression that it was a Mention in Despatches.

My "proof" is MiDDad.jpg.252590a933943049ab16e9734ae43cc2.jpgadmittedly off-topic, but gets the message across, one hopes...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

3 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I was always under the impression that it was a Mention in Despatches.

22 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

8th July, 1919. The following is a continuation of Sir D. Haig's Despatch

As also per LG, above.

M