Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letter from soldier

Maria1997

Hi, 

I have typed up a letter that I have recently inherited from a deceased family member among many documents. It’s a letter by a soldier from Norfolk, I have very little information other than that disclosed in the account. Any help on trying to find the identity of the soldier would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Maria

Typed up copy of letter from soldier.pdf

Looks like he's in the RFA.

I think the identity may be difficult without more info, perhaps some surnames connected to your late relative would help as a starter for 10.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

I’d suggest Stazzelles is Strazeele, Newla Mines is Nouex Les Mines and Eximelles is Vermelles.

Cambria is Cambrai

Rheims is Reims

• Admin
On 01/10/2023 at 16:12, Maria1997 said:

Any help on trying to find the identity of the soldier would be appreciated. 

Welcome to the GWF

His movements prior to embarkation to France, and participation in the Battle of Loos shortly after arrival in theatre, reflect those of the 21st Division esp. as noted above the artillery attached to that Division.

94 Brigade RFA is interesting as their war diary lists the names of casualties including other ranks, unfortunately , and it would be too easy, but none are listed for the 9th September 1918. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=94+brigade+royal+field+artillery&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna

95th Brigade merely lists casualties for the month as 'other ranks'.

As noted a family name might help.  This soldier would have been awarded the 14 -15 Star which narrows it down a bit.

See http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/21st-division/

Thanks everyone for your help. The name of my relative was Edmund Woollard Willis (although Woollard was often omitted or with the spelling Wollard) and he was married to Ivy M. Webster. 

Other family names related are Franklin and Bidewell. 

Thanks for these!

4 hours ago, Maria1997 said:

Edmund Woollard Willis

Can I take it this is the Edmund Woollard Willis, born Norwich 29th April 1879 and who died in 1970 and is buried at St Mary's, Wroxham.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/42198286/edmund-woollard-willis#view-photo=226276045

By the time of the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 31 year old Edmund Woollard Willis, born Norwich, was recorded as a married Public House Manager and head of the household at 21 Denmark Road, New Catton, Norwich. He lives there with his wife of 11 years, Eliza, and their three children.

On the 1913 Norfolk Register of Electors an Edmund Woollard Willis is recorded as entitled to vote in Parliamentary, County Council and Civil Parish elections as he was the (male) householder of a dwelling house known as Castle Inn, Wroxham. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2H15-4WZ

He was there still on the 1914 edition and the 1915 edition - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2H1W-2T5

The information on the 1915 edition would have been gathered late 1914. There were no 1916 and 1917 Registers prepared in the UK.

Newspaper reports of him giving up the tenancy in October 1938 spoke of him being there 28 years. That is at odds with the information on the 1911 Census and would only have possible if he didn't see active service - he would have had to transfer the licence if he was going to be absent for any length of time.

Further evidence that it's likely he isn't the letter writer comes from a court case in January 1916, when a Mr. Willis, landlord of the Castle Inn, Wroxham, talks of the carol singers outside his public house on Christmas Eve. There will be more details in the articles available on the likes of the British Newspaper Archive \ FindMyPast \ Ancestry, with the appropriate subscription levels.

FMPNewspapers1916WillissourcedFMP.png.beae26462339634f314ef86e2cf97c2a.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

Edit: I also tried the Official Casualty Lists that were published in 1918 and 1919 - the was usually a time lag of between 4 and 10 weeks after a wounding before a name appeared in a casualty list - and sometimes it could be longer or even not appear at all.  While they are not the easiest of documents to search, as far as I can tell there is no-one with the surname Willis whose next of kin lived Norwich, nor is there a match for a Willis who had a next of kin living at Wroxham.

Cheers,
Peter

PS - and a belated welcome to the forum :)

Edited by PRC

On 01/10/2023 at 16:50, Michelle Young said:

I’d suggest Stazzelles is Strazeele, Newla Mines is Nouex Les Mines and Eximelles is Vermelles.

On 01/10/2023 at 16:59, Alan24 said:

Cambria is Cambrai

Rheims is Reims

...and perhaps Castle is Cassels

George

These families that insist on naming everybody the same!! I have the same problem...

Edmund Woollard Willis 1879–1970 married

Eliza Margaret Buck 1876–1924

their son

Edmund Louis Woollard Willis 1901–1981 (RAF record 1917)

Sybil May Franklin 1903–1978

their son

Edmund Woollard Willis 1923–2016

Ivy Mabel Webster 1923–2016

I think we would be looking for EWW born 1879 died 1970

If he is the landlord of the Wroxham pub noted in PRC's newspaper entries then he also has a piece in the 1914 papers.

George

25 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Edmund Woollard Willis 1879–1970 married

Strange coincidence that Eliza was born in the same Suffolk village as me!

George

• Admin
On 01/10/2023 at 18:22, kenf48 said:

94 Brigade RFA is interesting as their war diary lists the names of casualties including other ranks, unfortunately , and it would be too easy, but none are listed for the 9th September 1918.

Oops! looks like a senior moment the date should have been the 9th June.

This is the list from the above war diary 94 Brigade RFA for June 1918 I don't know if any of the numbers reflect enlistment in 1915

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 09.23.58.png

Submitted only on the basis we have to start somewhere. Note that he ended up in 42nd Division post Armistice but that does not reflect his earlier service.

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

6 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

This is the list from the above war diary 94 Brigade RFA for June 1918 I don't know if any of the numbers reflect enlistment in 1915

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 09.23.58.png

Could 82970 Bombardier W. Buck be a good place to start? Landed in France on the 9th September 1915 according to his MiC, as Gunner William Buck. (Current interpretation of the letter has been transcribed as "shifted to Witty Common [,) Surry stayed there until Sep 7th [,] shifted to France on the march[.]"

William survived the War. Looks like he has surviving records - indexed as Service Records on FindMyPast for a man born c1886, and as pension records on Ancestry. (Sorry, don't subscribe to either, so can't check them out more).

On the Lives of the First World War website he has been linked to the village of Starston, Norfolk. https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/580782

The 1911 Census of England & Wales does have him there, as a married 25 year old Gamekeeper living at Rouse's Lane, Starston, Harleston with his wife of 3 years Mabel and their 2 children along with Mabels' grandmother. William Buck is shown as born Hoxne, Suffolk. On the 1891 Census of England & Wales the 5 year old Willie Buck, born Hoxne, son of Louis and Jane Buck, was recorded living at Heckfield Green, Hoxne. Among his siblings is a 15 year old sister Eliza, born Hoxne.

Age wise that would tie in with the Hoxne born Eliza Willis, nee Buck, wife of Edmund - 25 in 1901 and 34 in 1911.

When Edmund Woollard Willis, (20, bachelor, Plane Maker), married Eliza Willis, (24, spinster) at the church of St John de Sepulchre, Norwich on the 15th March 1900, she gave her fathers' name as Louis Buck. https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58183b5ae93790eb7f6a071c/eliza-buck-edmund-woollard-willis-marriage-norfolk-norwich-1900-03-15?locale=en

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
5 hours ago, PRC said:

Could 82970 Bombardier W. Buck be a good place to start?

Blimey! Just cleaned the bike and came in to find this - have to say it  - we are good!  

Sometimes even I'm surprised.

It is a limited record but here is his statement of service summarised for his pension claim:-

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 15.25.08.png

Image from FMP

As you say a gamekeeper discharged to  Harleston; discharge unit No 1 Section 42 Divisional Ammunition ColumnOn Discharge shown as Married Norfolk 28.04.08; Children Water; Lewis and Phyllis 

First joined for duty Norwich 19th January 1915 then to Glasgow.  Shrapnel wound of left buttock 9th June 1918, Berrington Hospital Shrewsbury even on the claim states 'foreign body in buttock".

No doubt it is the writer of the letter.  Maria can now piece together his movements from the war diary.

From Edmund Woollard Willis to W Buck?

I'm on the allotment digging-well having a blow at the moment-but I am a little confused. Alias or brother in law?

George

• Admin
1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

-but I am a little confused. Alias or brother in law

Brother-in law - see Peter's post above for genealogical connection esp:-

5 hours ago, PRC said:

Age wise that would tie in with the Hoxne born Eliza Willis, nee Buck, wife of Edmund - 25 in 1901 and 34 in 1911.

Edmund Woolard Willis was married to Eliza Buck sister of William Buck who is the letter writer.  No doubt Maria could give a fuller picture of the relationship through the generations

Can't have confusion among the shallots :)

ps did not edit post clicked wrong button sorry

Goodness, you are all fantastic! Will spend a bit of time looking through all of this and matching to the letter. 

Here is a family tree screenshot for anyone interested:

00BAF8B0-C7B2-4FAB-8AF1-637B2446C8F6.jpeg

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Maria1997 said:

Here is a family tree screenshot for anyone interested:

Always interested Maria, thanks for the information amazing how the letter has survived down the generations, but we did get very lucky.  Look forward to the write up!

It is a real gem - I couldn’t believe it when I found it in perfect condition in an old box. There are many photographs and documents that could help to create a more rounded picture of this man, too. I will provide anything that may be of interest or note when I have access to the documents again. Thanks all!

2 hours ago, kenf48 said:

have to say it  - we are good!

Definately "we" - even those on the allotments turning the Suffolk Sod :)

Genealogy and Norfolk are two of the things where I can at least give something back to the forum, so could hardly ignore this one!

Will be interested to see if any more Buck's stray north of the border -  as long as they have a Great War relevance of course Mr. Admin Sir :innocent:

Cheers,
Peter