Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Look Up Request Jim Herlihy Book

toofatfortakeoff

I am planning on buying a copy when I am richer but for now, I would be very grateful for a look up from the following book-

Jim Herlhy-an alphabetical list of the Royal Irish Constabulary 1860-1922,

on the assumption that irregular black and tans are included.  The names are not those of auxiliaries, as far as I can ascertain.

First is (surname) Morris, and variants-i.e. Maurice. Morrison i guess also. Employed Pre November 1920-onward and working up until truce.  Possibly or not in Galway or County Clare.

In his 30s in 1932-33 or longer, 'Morris' worked in the draughtsman dept of the valuation office of the manuscripts commission in Ely Place , Dublin

After the Anglo-Irish war, he was employed as a cartographer in the Irish government.

Barker, Ward-again employed before Nov 1920 and up until truce. These would be in Galway.

Miller. Possibly or not in Galway. Again recruited before October 1920 to truce

All the above names or most may be a needle in a haystack, if so please let me know. 

Cheers Sean

You can look them up yourself on RIC General Register on FmP. You are looking at a lot of names

A complete list of all recruits 1918/1922 there are 14700 of them

For example "Morris" 1920/1922 enlistments gives 23 names

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=ireland%2c royal irish constabulary service records 1816-1922&lastname=morris&eventyear=1920&eventyear_offset=2&keywords=general register&sid=999

Thanks mate will have a butchers! 

• 2 months later...

It may help if you gave more of the background to why you think those men served in those areas. The indication that Morris(?) later worked in Dublin may suggest he was Irish, or married in Ireland.

I've analysed all of the men who served in Clare 1919-1922 and one, John James Morriss 66904, was irish and also served in Galway. But he would have been in his 40's in 1932.

Other Morris's who were in Clare either died or resigned the force early.

I've managed to avoid looking at Galway so far.