Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial Web Site

Clive Temple

Hi Pals,

I'm researching a war memorial (a large one) and want to publish the details on line. Is there a free site you can recommend? I'm looking at a blog which will also have links to pages for the individual details (over 500). But suggestions of any other format would be welcome.

Thanks

Perhaps the Regulators would consider making a new topic on here :- MEMBERS RESEARCH  which could be available to all. Providing a statement is obtained that the material is not copyright or the information does not contain copyright material then the valuable research that may have taken hundreds of hours to compile could be available for as long as the GWF exists.

On 01/10/2023 at 09:28, Clive Temple said:

... I'm researching a war memorial (a large one) and want to publish the details on line. Is there a free site you can recommend? ...

Clive, it sounds as though you have invested a lot of time and trouble in you work. My advice is to beware using any free site. You will have no ultimate control over the continued existence of the site, and while some of the free site providers have been around for a while, many come and go quite quickly. You may also find that the "Free" comes at a cost of having adverts injected into your site.

There are a couple of things I recommend you could try.

First, you can get a free space at wordpress.com. Wordpress is a very popular and easy to use platform, and as a larger provider it is likely to be around for some time (but caveat as above). You could have a little play around with this to see how you get on, even if you then decide some other route.

Alternatively, you could install your own instance of Wordpress in some web space that you rent. This is how I operate The Long, Long Trail. It runs on Wordpress at an excellent UK-based host named Krystal. The latter is a really sound provider and they will do things like installing Wordpress for you, as well as managing the hosting service, keeping frequent backups, etc. This approach is not free but is much more secure long-term and gives you much greater control.

Good luck!