The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

17th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could someone please tell me why the 17th K.R.R.C. were named the ' British Empire League '?

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

In similar fashions to battalions raised for a number of regiments by members of organisations such as the The Boys Brigade and Church Lads Brigade the 17th.KRRC were formed in London on 16 May 1915, by the British Empire League. Hence the subsidiary title.

Dave

Hi Dave, :)

Many thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what the British Empire League was please ?

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

The British Empire League was a quasi-political organisation founded in 1894 merging with the Empire Industries Association which had been founded in 1925 by Joseph Chamberlain in 1948. In 1958 its name was changed to the Commonwealth and Empire Industries Association, which became the Commonwealth Industries Association in 1960. It was wound up in 1976.

The founders of the League believed that it was their duty to shoulder 'the white mans burden' (Kipling's phrase) to exercise civilising influences on native peoples by providing stable government and justice was seen to be greatly to their benefit. Some felt this duty was a long-term justification for occupying an area, over and above economic motives, which might have been quickly exhausted.

The League campaigned for the adoption of "Empire Day" as a national holiday, organising exhibitions, lectures and publications. Empire Day was 24 May (Queen Victorias Birthday) it was a date in the calendar from 1904 to 1958.

An ex-servicemens organisation known as The British Empire Service League was founded in the early 1920s. There is no connection between the two.

Dave

Hi Dave, :)

Great information. Thanks !

Cheers

Tim.

• 9 months later...

Hello, I was fascinated to see the topic "3 September 1916 17th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps".

In fact my great uncle, Frank DeVoney, participated in the attack that day and was killed in the German trenches in front of Beaumont Hamel. Is there indeed a diary of that action? Any information most appreciated.

Jim Nealon

Montevideo

Uruguay