Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion diced cap band patches on SD cap

Lukulele

New guy here, I apologize if this has already been discussed but I could not find anything that answers my question specifically. I have been doing some research on the Scots Guards. From what I understand the 2nd battalion wore a red white and black diced cap band but eventually moved on to only having 2 patches of the same diced pattern worn on either side of the SD cap. The literature I’ve read regarding the 2nd battalion cap patches doesn’t mention officers wearing the patches like the 1st battalion. I assume it’s the same as the 1st battalion but wanted to see if anyone knew whether the patches for the 2nd battalion were only worn by officers like the 1st battalion, or if other ranks wore the patch as well. 
Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_3698.jpeg

On 30/09/2023 at 00:02, Lukulele said:

New guy here, I apologize if this has already been discussed but I could not find anything that answers my question specifically. I have been doing some research on the Scots Guards. From what I understand the 2nd battalion wore a red white and black diced cap band but eventually moved on to only having 2 patches of the same diced pattern worn on either side of the SD cap. The literature I’ve read regarding the 2nd battalion cap patches doesn’t mention officers wearing the patches like the 1st battalion. I assume it’s the same as the 1st battalion but wanted to see if anyone knew whether the patches for the 2nd battalion were only worn by officers like the 1st battalion, or if other ranks wore the patch as well. 
Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_3698.jpeg

I have to date seen no evidence of Scots Guards other ranks wearing the diced patterns on service dress caps.  As for Scots Guards officers there were patches in Royal Stewart tartan worn on the side of SD caps in WW2, but I’ve not seen that in WW1 images.  Might you be conflating the practice from WW2?  I don’t know if @Glenn J might be able to help. 

IMG_9951.jpeg

IMG_9948.jpeg

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_9949.jpeg

IMG_9947.jpeg

IMG_9953.jpeg

IMG_9954.jpeg

IMG_9955.jpeg

IMG_9957.jpeg

IMG_9958.jpeg

IMG_9975.jpeg

IMG_9994.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I have not looked at this particular practice in any detail so have just had a quick run through of the regimental history of the Scots Guards in WW1. The only mention I have so far found regarding the wear of dicing or tartan in there was on page 173 as follows: (December? 1916)

”The 2nd Battalion had obtained permission from the Brigadier to wear patches of red, blue and white dicing, like that worn in peace time on the forage caps of the Scots Guards, and it is noted in the Battalion diary of 8th December, that officers and warrant officers started wearing it on their steel helmets”.

No mention of rank is stated for the wear on the SD cap.

Regards

Glenn

Further to my previous post, David Bilton in his “Badges of the Regular infantry 1914-1918”, includes a photograph of Sergeant McAulay VC, DCM wearing a patch on the left side of his SD cap. He states, in the case of the 1st `battalion that the patches were distributed by the QM on 27 September 1917; presumably to all ranks.

Regards

Glenn

25 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

I have not looked at this particular practice in any detail so have just had a quick run through of the regimental history of the Scots Guards in WW1. The only mention I have so far found regarding the wear of dicing or tartan in there was on page 173 as follows: (December? 1916)

”The 2nd Battalion had obtained permission from the Brigadier to wear patches of red, blue and white dicing, like that worn in peace time on the forage caps of the Scots Guards, and it is noted in the Battalion diary of 8th December, that officers and warrant officers started wearing it on their steel helmets”.

No mention of rank is stated for the wear on the SD cap.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks for responding Glenn.  This surviving steel helmet gives a good impression of how the dicing appeared.

IMG_9970.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

Further to my previous post, David Bilton in his “Badges of the Regular infantry 1914-1918”, includes a photograph of Sergeant McAulay VC, DCM wearing a patch on the left side of his SD cap. He states, in the case of the 1st `battalion that the patches were distributed by the QM on 27 September 1917; presumably to all ranks.

Regards

Glenn

Here are two photos of Sergeant McAulay VC DCM and it’s just about possible to see the rectangle of dicing behind his left side chinstrap button.  Interestingly that is the same position that officers of the Scots Guards wore a small rectangle of Royal Stewart tartan, although I’m not sure when that began.

In the enclosed artwork image by Mike Chappell the rectangular patch is shown as tartan rather than dicing / chequering.  Looking at the larger photo of Sgt McAulay I can see that dicing is the correct description.  A patch of dicing had been used previously on khaki foreign service helmets and slouch hats during the 2nd Anglo/Boer War so it was a well established regimental practice and not something new.

IMG_9971.jpeg

IMG_9972.jpeg

IMG_9973.jpeg

IMG_9974.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

In the past I have heard that 1st Battalion Scots Guards favoured a small patch of dicing, and that the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards preferred a patch of Royal Stewart tartan.  I am unsure if that is correct, but it seems entirely possible.

IMG_9977.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you FS,

I have seen these illustrations by Mike Chappell including one of an RSM of 1 SG but did not have access to the accompanying descriptive text.

Regards

Glenn 

Hi

The enclosed pic is part of a series of postcards issued by the IWM of A E Haswell Millers uniform plates and shoes the Scots Guards. Hope this is of help to you.

Best regards,

Ken

20230930_225509.jpg

1 hour ago, KENDO said:

Hi

The enclosed pic is part of a series of postcards issued by the IWM of A E Haswell Millers uniform plates and shoes the Scots Guards. Hope this is of help to you.

Best regards,

Ken

20230930_225509.jpg

Thanks Ken, that is indeed helpful.  It shows the 1st Battalion with the dicing on their steel helmets and so confirms the earlier posts.  Haswell Miller is always excellent as he usually drew from life, taking copious notes of uniform and insignia details and then painted them up subsequently.  He is thus very reliable.  Thank you for posting. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

46 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thanks Ken, that is indeed helpful.  It shows the 1st Battalion with the dicing on their steel helmets and so confirms the earlier posts.  Haswell Miller is always excellent as he usually drew from life, taking copious notes of uniform and insignia details and then painted them up subsequently.  He is thus very reliable.  Thank you for posting. 

Hi FROGSMILE, I appreciate your replies on this subject, it has been extremely helpful as I am putting a uniform together. I believe that painting with the man in the steel helmet is a soldier of the 2nd battalion indicated by the cloth insignia with the thistle under the letters Scots Guards and blue roman numeral 2. As I understand it, the 1st battalion did not have the thistle on the cloth shoulder title. As of right now I can assume other ranks would have painted the diced pattern on their helmet as well as having a patch of the diced pattern on either side later in the war similar to 1st battalion. As Glen mentions in an earlier post regarding the distribution of tartan patches in 1917 to “presumably all ranks.”

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

Edited by Lukulele

7 hours ago, KENDO said:

Hi Poonaguard,

It's 2 Bn not 1 Bn.

Best regards,

Ken

Thanks Ken, I see that now.  It was late…

8 hours ago, Lukulele said:

Hi FROGSMILE, I appreciate your replies on this subject, it has been extremely helpful as I am putting a uniform together. I believe that painting with the man in the steel helmet is a soldier of the 2nd battalion indicated by the cloth insignia with the thistle under the letters Scots Guards and blue roman numeral 2. As I understand it, the 1st battalion did not have the thistle on the cloth shoulder title. As of right now I can assume other ranks would have painted the diced pattern on their helmet as well as having a patch of the diced pattern on either side later in the war similar to 1st battalion. As Glen mentions in an earlier post regarding the distribution of tartan patches in 1917 to “presumably all ranks.”

IMG_3713.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg

Yes agreed.  I’m pleased to have contributed a little along with Glenn and Kendo.  At some point decals began to be used for steel helmets, but I can’t recall when that began.

IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9981.jpeg

IMG_9983.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello there

A bit late to the party but heres a better photo of Sergeant herry Wood VC, 2nd Batt Scots Guards wearing the diced cap patch and the Battalion insignia.

Also alink to an excellant article on the Battalion patches worn by the Guards.

Hope this of interest

William

Foot Guards WWI Badges.pdf

Serg Harry Wood VC, Scots Guards.jpg

19 minutes ago, caladonia said:

Hello there

A bit late to the party but heres a better photo of Sergeant herry Wood VC, 2nd Batt Scots Guards wearing the diced cap patch and the Battalion insignia.

Hope this of interest

William

Hi! 

I am always open to more information on this subject. The article you sent is an excellent read. I’ve used it to gather  insignia for my impression. Feel free to send any other photos you have regarding the patch on the SD cap, that also goes for anyone else that reads this forum. I love having multiple examples for research purposes. 

Thank you,

Luke 

1 hour ago, caladonia said:

Hello there

Hope this of interest

William

Thank you Caladonia, the extra image and information is very much appreciated by me also.  Thank you for posting.

NB.  It’s clear that the patch of dicing is the same depth as the complete band that would on a coloured forage cap run the full circumference of the cap, so it really is almost as if a small section had been cut out and stitched on, although I’m not suggesting that is the case, just that the scale is right.

IMG_6873.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello William,

and a thank you from me also. The close up shot is extremely useful as indeed is the link to the article.

Regards

Glenn

Hello there

Glad you  found my post of interest, a small correction, the gallant sergeants name was Harry Wood VC, not as I posted, sorry.

William