Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disability Codes

Ann Hunter

I have come across a war pension document for my husband's grandfather stating he was to have 40% disability pension for malaria and DAH. Can anyone tell me what DAH means please?

31 minutes ago, Ann Hunter said:

I have come across a war pension document for my husband's grandfather stating he was to have 40% disability pension for malaria and DAH. Can anyone tell me what DAH means please?

Welcome to GWF.

DAH = Disordered Action of the Heart [Sometimes called 'Soldiers' Heart' or 'Effort Syndrome']

If you are prepared to share his name and his military details I, and/or others, can look at his pension record and possibly interpret further and/or help you with other info.

M

Edit: Chris :thumbsup:

Edited by Matlock1418
typos and edit

Thank you. He was Private George William Fisher Rowlett, Reg No. 31818, with 3rd Shropshire Light Infantry, first went to France then in 1915 to Salonika. He was with a Bakery Unit which I believe was behind the front lines, but is also said to have taken part in battles. Any further information would be helpful. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Ann Hunter said:

Private George William Fisher Rowlett, Reg No. 31818, with 3rd Shropshire Light Infantry, first went to France then in 1915 to Salonika. He was with a Bakery Unit which I believe was behind the front lines, but is also said to have taken part in battles.

MIC initially showing as S4/090983, Army Service Corps [that would be the bakery] and then 31818, Shropshire Light Infantry [presumably the battles]

A pension index card at WFA/Fold3 shows Discharged 11.4.19 [from KSLI] awarded 11/- pw from 12.4.19 to 14.10.19 [the 40% degreee of disability rated for a pension class V soldier/Pte]

There is DEAD, 8.7.?? stamped on the card - this indicates the claim was considered dead on or by then [not necessarily the man] *

?? Where did you find Malaria and DAH?

M

Edit: * This rather seems like his death registration at GRO

ROWLETT, GEORGE  WILLIAM FISHER  37  
GRO Reference: 1932  M Quarter in EDMONTON  Volume 03A  Page 839
Edited by Matlock1418
edit

11 minutes ago, Ann Hunter said:

image.png.6f1bd5425a345d1cf69c145f51430732.png

At the end of his service record, on ancestry 

:thumbsup: That ties in nicely with the PIC [and my intepretation of the 40% disability]

The Condl in the bottom right corner indicates that the award was Conditional/temporary [to be reviewed in 26 weeks] and not a permanent or final award.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Thank you, that's really helpful. He died in 1932 of intestinal obstruction. 

Can I ask a question about initials on another record for someone else who was frequently losing 7 days pay for drunkenness on duty, and AWOL etc.  The initials WAOS appear next to one of the entries; I think this was some kind of court, but can't find the answer online.  Sorry if that's a bit cheeky to ask on a different thread.

WAOS or WOAS? [latter might be Whilst on Active Service]

M