Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Epaulette Flashes

1RWK

Hello all

I wanted to ask a question about epaulette flashes and their purpose. As you see in the photo just above the shoulder title the guy is wearing a epaulette flash.

I know some were worn and I believe there was at least 3 colours of blue, green and red, what did this signify? Were the flashes for the purpose of identifying the company or trade? if so what did the colours mean and were they only worn by the infantry?

thank you for all your help

Wayne

Connor.jpg

8 hours ago, 1RWK said:

Hello all

I wanted to ask a question about epaulette flashes and their purpose. As you see in the photo just above the shoulder title the guy is wearing a epaulette flash.

I know some were worn and I believe there was at least 3 colours of blue, green and red, what did this signify? Were the flashes for the purpose of identifying the company or trade? if so what did the colours mean and were they only worn by the infantry?

thank you for all your help

Wayne

Connor.jpg

Wayne the cloth badge on the upper arm most likely indicates his unit within a brigade and division (i.e. it’s formation) via shape and colour.  The coloured strip on the shoulder flash in various colours most commonly indicated the company, or in some cases a special job like runner, or signaller, although not all units favoured them and regular battalions rarely so.  Forum member @poona guard might be able to advise more definitively in the case of this QORWK soldier.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, max7474 said:

The photo is a modern reenactor rather than a real WW1 soldier.

Presumably he’s following an accurate theme.  I wonder if @1RWK realised that when he posted.  In terms of the question the answer still stands.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello, 

Yes, I did know the photo was of a modern reenactor, as I have been unable to find a picture of a real WW1 soldier. Using the picture as an example as I was unsure as to what to call the epaulette flashes

On 26/09/2023 at 23:56, 1RWK said:

I'm sure there were several reasons Wayne. It's an easy temporary fix for identication that doesn't involve sewing. I have detailed knowledge of one example. 

By 1918 Heaton Park, Manchester was home to a hutted Depot camp for up to 100 recovering wounded officers and 5000 recovering wounded soldiers of the Western Command. On discharge from hospital and on arrival at the Depot all were interviewed and examined by a medical board. The report of the board would govern his assignment to one of the four companies at the Depot. These were (in descending order of fitness) Red, Green, Blue and Yellow. The men wore a slide on the epaulette in their company colour and were re-boarded every 14 days during their time at the Depot.

Red  – fit to return to unit within 7 to 10 days

Green – fit for all training up to bayonet practice

Blue – fit for all training up to the assault course

Yellow – fit for all training up to exercise with telegraph poles

Training was very varied. There were football matches, cricket, tennis, boxing and fencing with inter-company tournaments. The gymnasium was under the supervision of a Medical Officer and was well supplied with machines to allow weight training and rowing as well as the conventional vaulting horses and climbing ropes. Indian Clubs and bags containing 7lbs of gravel were also used in the remedial training process.

Hope this helps.

By WW2 white epaulette flashes indicated potential officers in some instances.

Edited by TullochArd