Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRU Code F.T.40.

roughdiamond

Hi Folks

Looking for an answer that maybe lost in the mists of time, this original cross has a ref GRU F.T.40, it's repeated on the Concentration form also attached but as you can see each code is different for each set of remains, can anyone shed any light?

cheers

SamIMG-20230926-WA0008.jpg.957b259e9c19ad89401bcd9e2335573a.jpgIMG-20230926-WA0010.jpg.209f236214ca355499bb1aa93fee19e6.jpg

GRU - Graves Registration Unit, responsible for recording details of graves and burials of war dead

Glossary | World War & Military Terminology | CWGC

The letters following GRU refer to the specifics recorded for that particular casualty on registration.  Most of these IWGC files were destroyed during the Second World War.

Edited by TullochArd

4 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

As I suspected, gone, maybe a list of items found with the remains.

Yes.  It's a cumulative collection of clues isn't it.  You provide a good example in the random bits of information noted in 1916 on the now missing GRU reference "4512 Pte. Lotti. N'hampton (SN 12943)" being put together after the 1920 exhumation to positively identify 24812 Pte Major Lott, 1 Northamptonshire Regiment.  'Hats off' to the IWGC/CWGC

I've seen forms before where under means of identification they've listed things like "boots, badges etc". My assumption I suppose from that is due to the minimal space on the Concentration form a decision has been made to record the info on a separate sheet.

Sam