The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps

Onyx 62

9 minutes ago, Onyx 62 said:

I was just wondering if anybody knew what Labour Corps were in World War 1

And where I could find any information about them

Two good sources

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-labour-corps-of-1917-1918

and

'No Labour, No Battle' by Starling & Lee

M

@Michelle Young :thumbsup:

Edited by Matlock1418

If you type ‘Labour Corps’ into this forums search engine you will learn more about them as well as see some images of soldiers with their insignia.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

'No Labour, No Battle' by Starling & Lee

Thanks for supporting my mention of this book :) An interesting and very handy book

It has a wealth of detailed info on the LC

Including ... though not that it appears relevant here - but useful in other circumstances - Appendix VI which is handy when considering their duties for Exhumations and Reburial - e.g. for post-war discoveries and 'Concentrations'  ... an extra plug! [a shame we're not on commission! :D] .

M

It is a good book.  I never met Ivor Lee, but I was 2IC to John Starling in a Pioneer Company that in a modern day setting combined many of the roles of WW1 pioneers with those of the Labour Corps.  It was an enjoyable role and the fact that we shared a great interest in WW1 was a bonus.  He has established a database with the names of pioneers from WW2 and Labour Corps of WW1, the basis of which he used to underpin the details in the book.

Edited by FROGSMILE