Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Erquelinnes Communal Cemetery

BillyH

CWGC records show that this cemetery has 66 identified burials, but I am trying to find out how many unidentified burials there are (if any) and I cannot seem to get an answer off the CWGC website.  Can anyone help please?

BillyH.

33 minutes ago, BillyH said:

CWGC records show that this cemetery has 66 identified burials, but I am trying to find out how many unidentified burials there are (if any) and I cannot seem to get an answer off the CWGC website.  Can anyone help please?

BillyH.

The last page of the cemetery register shows 1 unknown British soldier 

looking around he is buried in Grave Number 77 and have a look at the details of Mcintosh and Winter for the GRRF and Headstone Schudule

Thanks for the reply Chesterboy, I will have another look at your suggestions.  I still think that it should be possible to filter a list of the unidentified burials in the cemetery though.

BillyH.

6 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Thanks for the reply Chesterboy, I will have another look at your suggestions.  I still think that it should be possible to filter a list of the unidentified burials in the cemetery though.

BillyH.

There isn’t, this option is not available.  It should be 

but hay ho, people have asked it for it for years and years and years.  

it seems the the unknowns don’t matter to the CWGC any longer as they have their names already on the memorials to the missing.  

21 hours ago, BillyH said:

It has a total of 83 casualties:
https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/search-results/?Lat=0&Lon=0&Locality=null&Name=Erquelinnes+Communal+Cemetery&CasualtiesRange=0

67 Commonwealth burials and 16 of other nationalities:
https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/55304/erquelinnes-communal-cemetery/
So there is one unidentified Commonwealth burial.

Be aware that there are 3 special memorials and only one unidentified Commonwealth grave...

I have contacted the CWGC about this cemetery asking whether they have some archival sources. My research about the German graves has given me plenty of questions for which I cannot find answers for the moment.

The fact that almost all Commonwealth graves could be individually identified is weird, to say the least. Especially as the Germans were able to give a detailed list of the names of their burials but no locations. Also, over the years, there were twice exhumations of German graves, which is quite strange...

More questions than answers and unfortunately no reaction from the CWGC on my e-mail.

Jan