Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Line of Command troops

jack

• Admin

I think you mean "Line of Communication Troops"

These were various types of units dedicated to protect the lines of communications between the rear-most bases and the front line.

Russ

I'm reading the War Diary of the 5th Division Ammunition Column and there seems to be two sections, the Line of Command and the Divisional Ammunition Column proper. Have I misunderstood it? There are two separate diaries.

You might be right RussT, I was looking in Ancestry and thy were referring to Line of Command.  So when I saw it in the WO I assumed it was Line of Command. It might be Line of Communication. But there are definately separate diaries. WO95/1533/3. 

• Admin

I'm still struggling to see what you mean :blink:

My default position is not to believe anything that Ancestry transcribes.

Perhaps you can give 2 links - one to one Diary and one to the other Diary.

There is a Diary for the Trench Mortar Batteries and the 5th Division Ammunition Park as well as the 5th DAC in the WO/95/1533 Piece.

The 5th DAP WD has a sub-title L of C - do you mean that Diary and that abbreviation? The L of C here means what I described earlier.

The 5th DAP was an ASC unit that in was the rear and which supplied the 5th DAC who in turn supplied the front-line RFA Brigades.

Russ

OK. Looks like I don't know what I'm looking at. My Grand Uncle 5283 Gunner Thomas Callaghan, landed with the 5th DAC on 19-8-14. His Attestation Papers are missing, presumed lost. He was KIA 3 Sep 16. I'm trying to follow the unit's movements and am unsure as to which part of the diary I should be looking at. 

Edited by jack

• Admin

I tried to provide the links but they didn't work:

The 5th DAC WD starts (August 1914) on Page 298 (of Ancestry)

Keep scrolling forward until you reach August 1916 on Page 508

Russ

• Admin
29 minutes ago, jack said:

5283 Gunner Thomas Callaghan

Just to note he ended as a Bombardier - his VM/BWM Medals should be named with that rank.

His 1914 Star will have the rank Gunner as he was that rank when he landed (as you say).

Russ