Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Altered suspension

Bilco

I have a sub-collection of Victory medals with altered suspensions. Here's a variety, some from my collection, some from the internet -

T4nuRui.jpg

MUdW8lO.jpg

0emPpUI.jpg

5WPn53r.jpg

Bill

...And some more ...

bcvAGyF.jpg

n8JhKWR.jpg

rlWfzdn.jpg

TyMznEt.jpg

Bill

Edited by Bilco

More practical than crazy

I`ve never seen such a device on a star so that may indicate that the suspension on the VM was damage prone rather than that the required shape of the ribbon was awkward. Having said that, I`ve never come across a VM with a modified suspension like those! An interesting collection.

What a random thread. I couldn't resist having a go.  I came across this one on the internet converted into a modern necklace which sold for £156.39......yes ......the decimal point is in the right place. 

It was awarded to '680630. GNR. T. CORNER. R.A.' (BWM/BVM, RFA TF, survived).  

680630.GNR.T.CORNER.R.A..jpg

Edited by TullochArd

As a young lad I was able to buy VMs for 50p and wondered if I could make jewellery from them. There's my answer!

50p Victory medals.  Oh for a time machine.

Dave

12 hours ago, depaor01 said:

50p Victory medals.  Oh for a time machine.

We must have had nearly the same militaria shop deaor01 ........ a 'shop' to rummage through now that's a rarity these days.  My 50p BVMs came from an old, rusty biscuit tin under the counter that contained about 20-30 other "orphans" separated from their BWM siblings who were melted down mid-War.  On reflection that tin would have had a valuable cross section of the local community at that point.  I confess I missed that connection at the time. 

Edited by TullochArd

Many thanks  depaor01 - a very well-used medal!

A nice one TullochArd - judging by the colour of the beads I would guess this is another mourning piece, to be worn by a breaved mother or wife.

I started collecting medals in the early 1960s, and what we called 'junk shops' had Victory medals and WW2 stars at 2/6 a pop!

Bill

5 hours ago, Bilco said:

........  judging by the colour of the beads I would guess this is another mourning piece, to be worn by a breaved mother or wife.

No Bill, it's just a modern necklace utilising a forgotten medal advertised on the internet.

This is from a family medal group. the ribbon has been replaced at some time. The loop appears to have been bent to allow the medal to lie flat.

VMCloseUp.jpg.5d43dadc8e73fb60c7a69ba2e0ed9b6f.jpg

Thanks, TullochArd and Gardenerbill!

Tullochard - if you're referring to the dumbell-like bar at the top, it's a standard French method of wearing medals - 

NOk5VOl.jpg              

It's a two-part pin -

uRkR4kx.jpg

which comes apart and threads through loops on the uniform and through the sewn medal ribbon, then the thin inner pin slides into the outer to secure the medal.

I have a French Victory medal ribbon that's made to be mounted this way -

1Pk8lD5.jpg

It's a lot safer for the wearer than the much more lethal French medal pin -

OJSpYJH.jpg

Bill

2 minutes ago, Bilco said:

Tullochard - if you're referring to the dumbell-like bar at the top, it's a standard French method of wearing medals  

I was - thanks for the education - it would appear that the Portugeuse used this type of pin as well?

Another one, just arrived today  -

y8iq6VD.jpg

It's chrome plated, and I think it must have been altered to be worn on a watch fob, or maybe a necklace, and to look like silver!

And just to show that it's not just the Brits and the Yanks -

FQMnXVW.jpg 

I suspect that this was a repair job, after the suspension knob broke off.

Bill

Edited by Bilco