Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Princess Mary's Gift Box: Who received it?

Terry

I recently won a family group of medals to two brothers who enlisted in the CEF in July,1915. With the medals was a Princess Mary's Gift Box. I had always understood that this tin was given to personnel who were serving on Christmas Day,1914. Would I be right in assuming that the box was probably added by someone (family member?, collector?) to spice up a display?

Cheers,

Terry

Maybe the owner before you hold the medals in the Pr. Mary Box? 

Or maybe this was his/hers WW1 memorablia/collection.?

Other connection between medals and the box, i can not explane. Hope somebody else does.

Every article I have read seems to indicate that the gifts were for those serving in some fashion (at the front, in uniform, etc.) as of Dec.25, 1914. Nowhere have I seen statements saying that the boxes were also given to personnel who enlisted later (eg. 1915 on). Peter, you state that your grandfather received one after joining up in 1915; that is what I would like to prove through some documentation for my brothers who enlisted in July,1915. Somewhere there must be some notification of permission being authorized for post 1914 personnel to receive the gifts.

Cheers,

Terry

Maybe he get it from a fellow soldier. Or found it somewhere in a trench? 

That is also an option. 

On 21/09/2023 at 11:53, Terry said:

Every article I have read seems to indicate that the gifts were for those serving in some fashion (at the front, in uniform, etc.) as of Dec.25, 1914. Nowhere have I seen statements saying that the boxes were also given to personnel who enlisted later (eg. 1915 on). Peter, you state that your grandfather received one after joining up in 1915; that is what I would like to prove through some documentation for my brothers who enlisted in July,1915. Somewhere there must be some notification of permission being authorized for post 1914 personnel to receive the gifts.

Cheers,

Terry

Forum member @Peter Doyle is a published expert on this subject and can I’m sure answer your query.  He was around a little earlier so hopefully this flag will draw his attention.

Edited by FROGSMILE

the way I understood it was , yes, to those serving christmas 1914, but they did not complete issue to around 1920.

I have seen elsewhere, that there are variations......   names, flags etc.

Also today, there is a current production line of modern replicas also being "aged", damaged to supply the unwary collectors.

contents varied, cards, photo card of PM, pencil, lighter, cigarettes or for non smokers chocolate. Sally Bosley has a good example of what was issued. some also being copied/remade now..

https://www.sallybosleysbadgeshop.com/shop.php?c=153

Well, Douglas Lockhart (Lt, 1st Gordon Highlanders and in France from 1917) had one he kept various bits'n'bobs in; my father has it somewhere. No idea where Douglas L got it, but it wasn't issued to him. I suspect, like many other saleables (however cheap)  they were widely available in the Depression. Pretty sure my grandfather, and Old Contemptible, flogged almost everything he had to feed his large family in the 30s and I expect there were many like him. Incidentally, as my grandfather was made PoW at Le Cateau he was eligible for the box on his repatriation, though whether he ever got it I don't know.