Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform

Linda Gillbanks

Looks like it could be a Khaki drill tunic for hot climates, doesn’t appear to have lower pockets so ‘other ranks’ and has pointed rather than square top pocket flaps, stand and fall collar and pointed cuffs which IIRC dates it to pre-1924. Doesn’t have a Chinese collar so isn’t RMLI or the simplified pattern also used during the Great War. So could date from 1903 to 1924? Or a little bit later

Not sure what helmet he is wearing? Doesn’t look like wolseley pattern I don’t think? Bombay bowler maybe? Cawnpore? I don’t know much about helmets tbh

There is a good video on YouTube I will try and find for you 

Ed

Edited by MrEd

Edit: found it

The headwear is I think a Pith helmet introduced to replace the Wolseley type during the late 1920s if I recall correctly.  It’s a typical between the wars photograph.

IMG_9713.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The helmet dates it then, thanks @FROGSMILE - helmets aren’t really my thing. Could it be this type of helmet?

IMG_1028.jpeg.dd2a7d39e170b0dbd725e62a43dca163.jpeg

7 minutes ago, MrEd said:

The helmet dates it then, thanks @FROGSMILE - helmets aren’t really my thing. Could it be this type of helmet?

IMG_1028.jpeg.dd2a7d39e170b0dbd725e62a43dca163.jpeg

Yes that’s it.

12 hours ago, Linda Gillbanks said:

Thank you both very much for this information. That’s really helpful. I’ll watch the video 

The flag he holds indicates that he was a trained (or training to be a) signaller Linda (used for semaphore).

Edited by FROGSMILE