Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of nurses and patients at Aberdeen City Hospital during the Great War

JohnH

Just now, seaJane said:

It's still very labour-intensive, though, and if a book is to be done well the labour still falls mostly on the author and the profit mostly elsewhere ...

I can imagine that and quite happily accept your advice.  It’s a pity though.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I can imagine that and quite happily accept your advice.  It’s a pity though.

It is! I would do something if only I didn't have other projects on hand at the moment that demand completion first. And really my preferred métier would be fiction, which doesn't (necessarily) help.

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

It is! I would do something if only I didn't have other projects on hand at the moment that demand completion first. And really my preferred métier would be fiction, which doesn't (necessarily) help.

Yes although fiction would be fun, to do justice to the subject, the medical and nursing staff, and their dress and insignia, I think that a more academic work that would stand as a record and point of reference is what is really required. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

28 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

point of reference

There is of course Simon J. Eyre's Surgeons of the Royal Naval Medical Service in the First World War, compiled for the Orders & Medals Research Society, which provides the nominal roll and medal-related material, but not so much a discussion of the various surgeons' experiences and activities.

3 minutes ago, seaJane said:

There is of course Simon J. Eyre's Surgeons of the Royal Naval Medical Service in the First World War, compiled for the Orders & Medals Research Society, which provides the nominal roll and medal-related material, but not so much a discussion of the various surgeons' experiences and activities.

Yes although very laudable and interesting to have the names and associated awards, it’s of course not the same as a scholarly record of wartime activity, dress, and insignia, and in light of our conversation that seems to me to be overdue. 

Edited by FROGSMILE