Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lille Pigeon War Memorial

Hedley Malloch

post-98-1113394922.jpgOne of the most unusual war memorials. It's dedicated to the pigeons who served as carrier pigoens in WW1. Why Lille? A mining area and stronghold of the fancy. Pigeons were held in such high regard in France after WW1 that it was, for many years after, a criminal offence to kill one. Below is a front view of the memorial which can be found at the entrance to the Vauban Citadelle.

post-98-1113395292.jpg

The side panels are interesting. This one shows front line soldiers under attack. Hercule the pigeon is taken out of his cage and sent to summon up artillery support.

post-98-1113395837.jpg

But when Hercule arrives at the battery, the boys there clearly have problems of their own. Something of an enigma.

post-98-1113396134.jpg

The pigeons' battle honours are listed on the two side panels. Note the reference to 'Mer' indicating pigeons were used in naval operations. Usually, as on this occasion, the memorial is enlivened by a visit from the real thing. The other panel is devoted entirely to the pigeons' service at Verdun.

The memorial contains a table commemorating those members of the fancy who faced a German firing squad rather than kill their charges. But, as this picture shows, this is almost an after-thought. The memorial leaves no doubt - the real heroes wore feathers.

A truly remarkable memorial.

post-98-1113396523.jpg

Hedley

that is brilliant.

thanks for brightening my day.

Mike S

Guest Simon Bull
post-98-1113394922.jpgOne of the most unusual war memorials.  It's dedicated to the pigeons who served as carrier pigoens in WW1.  Why Lille?  A mining area and stronghold of the fancy.  Pigeons were held in such high regard in France after WW1 that it was, for many years after, a criminal offence to kill one.  Below is a front view of the memorial which can be found at the entrance to the Vauban Citadelle.

Hedley - is the Vauban Citadelle in Lille open to the public? If so is it worth a visit?

Simon,

It is not usually open as it is still a French Army building; it's the HQ of the 43rd Regiment. However, it is opened up for guided tours one weekend a year, usually in May. I'll post this year's dates when they are available. I have to say I've never been inside. One can still walk in very pleasant woods (currently being heavily thinned, lopped and pruned much to the disgust of many in Lille) around the huge walls of the Citadelle and appreciate Vauban's masterpiece from the outside. There one can see many memorials to locals shot in both wars by the German occupying forces.

There is a SAD interest as the north-east ramparts are the site of the last two executions carried out by the British Army in early 1919. According to Putakowski and Sykes it was here that the firing squad nearly scored an own goal.

It's a good place to stop for lunch, especially if one is making a trip to the Somme. The 43rd Regiment is one of two commemorated at the back of the Serre Road No.2(?) CWGC. The other is the 204th which also had its HQ at the Citadelle until it was disbanded a couple of years ago. Both regiments were selected for the attacks by the French on Serre in 1915. Of course Lille was occupied and it was thought that this would provide the two Lille based regiments with the necessary élan to oust the Germans from Serre. However, the problem was more complicated than that, and it was left to the British to try and finish the job in 1916 with results known to all of us.

So there is a Somme connection as well as the pigeon war memorial. Throw in frîtes vans galore, a decent Greek resto opposite, ample car parking on the Champ de Mars (sadly no longer free), a free zoo for the kids, toilets and a working canal, and it is a great place for a break, or if the battlefields are rained off.

Regards

Hedley

Quite agree with Hedley that this area of Lille is a lot of fun. I noted the pidgeon memorial which I think is opposite a much smaller war memorial to those dreadful pests, human beings !

The free (!!) zoo is great for the kids.

The Musée des Beaux Arts is an amazing place, not least for the modesl in the basement of the Vauban fortresses. The lighting down there will get to you in the end, but its well worth suffering to see the models.

The Opéra is also magnificent.

The old monastery? that is now an art gallery/museum is excellent as is the old alms houses? that are now a flea market - mostly books, although a load of rubbish in the main.

Marvellous place for a day or two. The brasseries are worth a long visit. Its the only place where I've ever seen a notice in a menu saying that all orders between midnight and 6 a.m. have a 10% surcharge.

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks for the information Hedley. I have to say I have only ever spent two or three hours in Lille at one time, waiting to catch a train home. I have found it an interesting place to stroll through and have always thought there must be more to see. One day when I have time during a battle field trip I shall try and spend the day there.

Also on the Champs du Mars is the Pont Ramponneau. This was erected to celebrate the Napoleon's victories. Each of the four pillars has inscribed on each of its four faces the names of Nap's greatest victories. It is immediately obvious that any reference to a victory over the Prussians has been obliterated, whilst those over other European nations (Eylau, Jemappes) have been left intact. You can spend a few minutes contemplating which of the successive German armies of occupation performed this act of erasure.

Not far away is Rue Princesse, the birth-place and family home of Verdun's best known French POW, one Charles de Gaulle. It's now a national museum with pride of place going to his bullet-riddled car which starred in the opening sequences of 'The Day of the Jackal'.

Returning to the Champs du Mars a little further on is the Stade Giromprenez, home of Lille FC, currently being revamped, and the cradle of such giants of the Premier League such as Cygan (Arsenal) and Cherou (Liverpool). Behind that is the canal with a busy, huge lock.

If walking is too much it is possible to hire an electric bike opposite the pigeon war memorial. Or altenatively, if your transport tastes favour innovaton, you can hire what I can only describe an electric pogo-stick on wheels. It's a bizarre method of getting about, but it will keep the kids happy. There is a shuttle-bus running between the Champs du Mars and the town centre if you want to go further afield.

• 1 month later...

I just came upon this thread. Terrific thanks Hedley...

Robbie

I should have added that the pigeons' contribution to the French war effort was so highly valued that for many years after the war it was a criminal offence to kill one.

I understand that the British Intelligence used pigeons. The RAF/RFC would parachute them in cages into occupied Belguim and France with questionnaires tied to their legs asking for details of German troop movements. The locals would pick them up, fill in the questionnaire, and release the pigeon, who would then return home.

The prize for participating French an Belgians was not the chance of a time-share on the Algarve or entry into a draw for a new car - but death. This makes a reported response rate of about 60% on some occasions, quite surprising.

Thanks Hedley. There is another fine memorial to refugees in Lille the largest city in occupied France, 3 generations of poeple fleeing the war.

There is a WW1 pigeon in the Smithsonian, the famous Cher Ami, the last pigeon of the surrounded Lost Battalion trapped near Charlevoux Mill in the Argonne. A fine 1937 book on this is reprinted in paperback.

It looks as if the pigeons respect the memorial as well.

Ali

Very observant Ali ;) It's probably against the pigeon code

Thanks for the pictures Hedley, an unusual memorial, but a very impressive one- and they say us Brits love our animals more....

• 11 years later...

This is a message for Lieut-Col Hedley Malloch from Nicky Hughes at Historic England.

I am writing an Historic England blog about animal war memorials connected to the First World War in England.  However, I would also very much like to mention the pigeon war memorial at Lille as it is so unusual.  Your images are very good indeed & I would like to use some of them.  We would of course properly credit you.  I can Photoshop them from the post as I only need low res versions.

Would you be happy with my using them?

Kind regards,

Nicky

Nicky,

Of course you can use the photos. Feel free. An acknowledgement would be great as would the web link when it is up and running.

Kind regards

Hedley Malloch

• 4 years later...
On 02/06/2005 at 12:39, Hedley Malloch said:

The locals would pick them up, fill in the questionnaire, and release the pigeon, who would then return home.

The prize for participating French an Belgians was not the chance of a time-share on the Algarve or entry into a draw for a new car - but death. This makes a reported response rate of about 60% on some occasions, quite surprising.

The penalty was indeed death by firing squad. I recently came across this scan of a German notice posted to warn the locals of Lille not to keep or release pigeons of any kind - or they would suffer the same fate as Paul Busière, a miner from Liévin, who was shot on the 23rd of August 1915 for having released carrier pigeons. (The rest of the text reminds the readers of the relevant laws and penalties. In French but I'll try and post up a rough translation later.)

Source - Lille Archives

KOBE

03_Execution_Complet_01.jpg