Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Camerons, RFC, RAF

o j kirby

Hello,

I have encountered two men named John Cameron, both of which initially served with the Cameron Highlanders before transferring to the RFC and RAF. I would really like to know if there is any information out there that might add something to the scant knowledge that I have at present.

The first is:

14303 John Cameron, 7th Cameron Highlanders, who transferred to the RFC as 139374. I believe that he was from near Dunkeld in Perthshire. He was in France on 8th July 1915.

The second man is also John Cameron, 17909 Cameron Highlanders, to France 30th June 1915. He transferred to the RAF, number 300225.

Any piece of information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Owain.

Both have service records in the British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939 collection on Findmypast. The search results give a birth year of 1888 and a prewar occupation of constable for John Cameron service number 139374, while John Cameron service number 300225 has a birth year of 1870, and an occupation of cooper. The first John Cameron attested in 1914, the second in 1915, more information will presumably be in their full service records which I can't access because I do not have a subscription to Findmypast.

The RAF Muster Roll of 1 April 1918 only has the first John Cameron listed, there is no sign of the second.

Cameron 300225 enlisted on 18 Apr 1915 and served in the 30th Cameron Highlanders.  He also had 4 years' prior service in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Volunteers.

He joined the RAF on 16 Aug 1918 as a Transportation Clerk (at least that's what it looks like on his Service Record).  His rank is listed as Clerk 3 and was also listed as Stores Clerk and Storeman.  His Character was Very Good and his Proficiency was Satisfactory as of 31 Dec 1918.

NOK is listed as Mrs. Anne Cameron, Mother, at 6 Douglas Street, Stirling.  He was 5' 11'' tall with a 37'' chest and a scar on the tip of his left little finger.

Initial posting was to the Recruits' Depot and then to RAF Catfirth on 10 Sep 1918.  He ended up at Scapa Station on 11 Feb 1919.   

He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, BWM and VM.

He was transferred to the RAF Reserve on 12 Mar 1919 and discharged 30 Apr 1920.  There's a scribble next to his discharge date which might be "Deceased" suggesting he died while in the Service.  

14 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, BWM and VM.

1914-15 Star medal rolls shows that he entered a theatre of war on 30 June 1915

14303 / 139374 Cameron -- enlisted 10/11/1914; 7th Battalion Cameron Highlanders. Transfer to RFC 28/02/1918.

Medal Index Card shows that he entered a theatre of war (France and Flanders) on 8/7/1915, awarded 1914-15 Star; BWM and VM

I take back my comment about Cameron 300225 being deceased in service.  I think the scrawl at the left of his discharge date is "Deemed" since a handwritten "d" has been added to printed word "Discharge."  Cameron 139374 has the same language on his Service Record.  

Cameron 139374 was born in Donnelly, Dunkeld Parish, Perthshire, in 1888 and was Presbyterian by religion.  Pre-war occupation was Constable, as already noted.  He enlisted on 10 Nov 1914 and his prior service was with the 7th Cameron Highlanders, including deploying to France 8 Jul 1915 thru 4 Aug 1917.   He transferred to the RFC on 28 Feb 1918 as a 3/AM  and thence to the RAF as a Pte2 upon its formation on 1 Apr 1918.

NOK is listed as Alexander Cameron, father, at Balledmore? Cottages, Ballinluig, Perthshire.  Son John Cameron was 5' 10'' tall with a chest of 34.5''.  He had black hair, hazel eyes and a fresh complexion.  

Only one posting to 33 Station, with no dates, is shown in the Service Record.  His trade was Driver (Learner).  He was transferred to the Reserves on 4 Mar 1919 and was deemed discharged on 30 Apr 1920.

Edited by Buffnut453

Hello,

Many thanks for all of the information on the two John Camerons. The Cameron with the numbers 14303 and 139374 may have been born at Dowally which is just a bit north of Dunkeld but south of Ballinluig. I will try to work out the name of the the cottage. I have seen a lot of place names of Gaelic origin that have been mis-spelt. It could be Ballinmore, but that is just a bit of guesswork without evidence. The other lad from Stirling has been given as "30th"  Cameron Highlanders. Could that be a miss print? I know the street that his NOK lived on, but not many of the original buildings are standing these days.

Thanks again for all of your efforts which are very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Owain.