Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thirst quencher?

EvgenyS

Could someone please help with understanding what a 'thirst quencher' could be. A quote from a personal war diary:

"Very hot and water unobtainable—tried thirst quenchers, which were worse than nothing".

Possibly a contemporary generic term for drinks recommended as quenching thirst: Australian article 1914

Ginger beer was a very popular drink among soldiers, especially those who were teetotal. (But during the 1898 manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain ginger beer and ice cream needed to be guarded against because of their effects on stomachs - this was before pumping stations and wells were establish on the new training grounds.)

I have an idea that sucking pebbles and even coins were used in desperation.

17 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

Could someone please help with understanding what a 'thirst quencher' could be. A quote from a personal war diary:

"Very hot and water unobtainable—tried thirst quenchers, which were worse than nothing".

Pebbles are a well known desert dweller solution but Ypres suggests something different to me. 

Local papers are full of dodgy 'snake oil' advertisements for diverse problems and I have found one that mention 'Thirst Quenchers' directly - they are likely more.  The advert led led me a photo (attached) of an actual tin of 'Marchatese' Mints* which claim to be "Thirst Quenching for military, specially prepared for all persons engaged in fatiguing duties". 

You can well imagine these being a likely contender for a place in a parcel.  I can well imagine these being "were worse than nothing"!

* Made by United Confectionary Company of Hull and supplied by James Duff Chemist of Dundee.

Marchatese Mints.jpg